Search

Places to stay on Highway 101 Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2013, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Places to stay on Highway 101 Road Trip

Hi Everyone,

Me and my girlfriend are planning a 5 day trip starting from San Francisco to Los Angeles from 12-Feb to 17 Feb 2014. We need your valuable recommendations and experiences for accommodations on the Highway 101 route. I have provided some of our budget and itinerary ideas to let you give us best advice.

We are landing on 12th afternoon in San Francisco and will need a place to stay for a night between $80-$120. We are planning to spend the evening of 12 and morning of 13th sight seeing in San Francisco and then starting on our drive on Coastal route on 13th evening hoping to catch our first sunset. We are looking to stop at Big Sur Lodge on 13th night with a Budget of $150 to get a feel of the red woods. Any other similar or better place to stay in same or less budget is welcome.

The we are planning to stay on a Beach hotel with an Ocean view ($150-200) on 14th night. I seemed to find Avila Lighthouse within that Price range but any other places in between Monterrey to a little before Los Angeles is welcome. I even wont mind staying 13th and 14th in same Ocean View place if its within that price Range.

Then we do need to stay 15th -16th in Los Angeles at a cheaper place $80-120 to make up for our expenses. In the End we have a Budget of $800 MAX for our stay (excluding food) from 12th to 16th. Places with free parking are a Bonus.

Like I said the itinerary is not set in stone. Just 1 day in San Francisco, 2 days in between preferably in Beach and then last couple of days in LA. Your help would be personally appreciated from one traveler to another.
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 07:03 AM

This is definitely in my top 3 drives so far. Mountains on one side and sea on the other.. Plus the fog... Heavenly drive and possibly the best thing I ever did on the west coast. Make sure your car has full tank of gas when you start.
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 08:08 AM

Do you mean Hwy #1 (not 101)???

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 08:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The problem with your plan is that it will be too rushed, but doable. Also the night of the 14th is a Friday on a holiday weekend. Most places along the coast will required a two, or even three night minimum for the Presidents weekend. You will have to work around that. Other places to consider are Pismo Beach, Shell Beach, that are near Avila Beach. We like to stay at the Cottage Inn, Spyglass Inn, Sandcastle Inn.

http://www.pacificahotels.com/central-coast.htm
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 08:38 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
the coastal route (through Monterey and Big Sur) is not 101. Your budget is awfully low for San Francisco. You could try some of the motels just north of SFO. Not the handiest location but OK w/ a car and there is mostly free parking. As for the two places you already selected on the coast - stick w/ them since they are very reasonably priced and apparently will allow one night stands.

I can't help much w/ your LA stop since I haven't stayed anywhere in the area w/ $80 to $100 rates in several years.
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 10:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Columbus Motor Inn or Chelsea Motor Inn in SF if you have a car to park.

If you want to save some money choose the little Shell Beach Inn which is a few miles from Avila Beach. You can still have lunch/spend the morning or whatever at Avila Beach. No ocean view at the Shell Beach Inn but it's a short walk to the ocean. Or check seacrestpismo as the sea crest often has Feb specials in the $90 per night range and it's on the ocean.

Wilshire Motel for a low-budget stay in L.A., just a mile from Santa Monica. Or there's the Jolly Roger in Marina del Rey. Both are basic, but in safe neighborhoods and an easy drive to LAX.

Don't book anything that doesn't have a liberal cancellation policy ie 24 hour no penalty cancellation. Because February is rainy season and it is not unheard of to see 101 flooded out in spots. You are going to have to keep a close eye on the weather forecasts.
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 11:12 AM

Neither the Columbus motor inn or Chelsea will likely fit in that budget. They are both great, but are not budget accommodations really.

Their websites do list doubles from around $85 to over $350 - but most times the cheapest room is around $150+ and with SFs high hotel taxes that is getting closer to $200 than $100.

But call them - they may be running a special.
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 12:31 PM

Cow Hollow Motor Inn has doubles during your travel period in the $100 range, with parking included. We've stayed there. It is acceptable. We like the location.

It would be good if you had more time, but you can hit the highlights in the time you have.

Pismo Beach is one of our favorite places to stay between SF and LA because it has an abundance of rooms with great ocean views.

HTtY
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 12:57 PM

Check out offerings in Cayucos, a cute little beach town north of Avila Beach. There's wonderful hiking in nearby Montana de Oro State Park and San Luis Obispo, a small but lively university town, is an easy drive as well.
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 06:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Columbus Motor Inn in SF is $90 on your nights, including parking. If you find anything cheaper, be sure to check the parking rates too!
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 10:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Everyone for all the replies. This is the first time I have posted a query on Fodors and I am surprised people are so helpful. So here is the update so far.

Based on your responses we have realized it is ok to go around SF on foot or use the public transport. This removes the hassle of Parking fees and other Parking headaches. I have also booked the 12th night at Nob Hill Hotel which seems pretty conveniently located, suites our tastes (sort of old Victorian era) and cost $127 inc taxes etc. Now moving forward I need to figure out a Beach place to stay. We really don't mind staying in any of the lesser known not so touristy place either. The coast seems to offer quite some amazing views throughout. Finger crossed. Still open to recommendations. Once again thanks for all the advice fellow wanderlusts.
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 06:42 AM

>>I have also booked the 12th night at Nob Hill Hotel which seems pretty conveniently located<<

If the Nob Hill Hotel is on Nob Hill - you'll be taking lots of taxis &/or other public transportation. There are mean hills in almost every direction.

>> suites our tastes (sort of old Victorian era)<<<

All the Victorians in that area were burned in the '06 quake.

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 08:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The OP sounds like a young couple. They will be fine on the hills.

If the accommodations on the beach near Avila and Pismo are over your budget. Try looking at San Luis Obispo. It is still close to the beaches and has a fun down town. We usually stay at the La Cuesta Inn. There is also nice wine tasting in the Edna Valley.
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 08:59 AM

Stu - the Nob Hill hotel is on Hyde between Sutter and Bush sort of kitty corner from the Hospital. (names don't have to indicate location )
Old Dec 31st, 2013, 09:14 AM

Didn't know that - certainly not near Nob Hill. "the Hospital" is the St Francis Hospital - where I was born.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 06:12 PM

Morro Bay is a good choice for budget lodging on the Central Coast.
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 08:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a HI Hostel at Point Montara about 25 miles south of SF. http://www.norcalhostels.org/montara
I never stayed at this one but have stayed twice at the Pigeon Point Lighthouse HI Hostel.