Search

NY-AZ road trip.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2016, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NY-AZ road trip.

Looking for suggested itineraries for a road trip from the NY PA border to the Grand Canyon. There will be 2 adults and 2 grade school aged children of us in a large SUV. We will have about 14 days. Is this enough time to make the trip enjoyable? Any advice would be helpful.
Old Dec 23rd, 2016, 06:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Is this trip planned for June-July when the kids are out of school? I take it that the large SUV is a vehicle you own?
There is a lot of boring territory between Erie PA and New Mexico.
My favorite would be to ride the Amtrak Lakeshore Limited from Erie to Chicago (1:48AM to 9:45AM) with 5 hours in Chicago before getting on the Southwest Chief at 3PM CT.
Take the SW Chief to Albuquerque NM and spend a night there before renting a van and heading to the Grand Canyon.
Amtrak might look more attractive to you when you consider the gas and other vehicle costs and 3 nights in hotels each way to get to and back home.
Old Dec 23rd, 2016, 07:24 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Google maps estimates about 35 hours driving time. So, 5 hours a day there and back, plus comfort, food and gas stops. Without a day off or sightseeing. If you stop driving to see the Grand Canyon for a day, add those hours onto the other days. I'm assuming a 2 way drive. Sounds like torture to me and I'm not a kid.

Why not fly, rent a car and have time to spend at your destination? If budget is a concern, bring camping gear. I've done that when meeting friends to camp, used a canvas duffel for the gear and it worked just fine.
Old Dec 23rd, 2016, 01:19 PM

Do you mean the NY/PA border near the New Jersey end or the lake Erie end? There is about a 5 hour difference and suggested routes would be quite different.

Are your kids used to long car rides? In any case, if you decide to do the drive, try to break up the trip with a few hours of driving then an activity or site to visit then a few more hours of driving. For example if you are leaving from the eastern end of NY/Pa perhaps head out to rt 81 then south to say Luray, VA and visit Luray Caverns. Then head south and try to get to Roanoke for the night.
Plan days with something to see that is fun every day.

Do a bit of a cost analysis and see if flying to say Vegas or Phoenix or Albuquerque and renting a car reducing the total time for the trip to say 8 or 9 days could cost about the same and be less stressful than driving. Do include the costs of staying in hotels/motels, gas, tolls, etc. Look for packages that include the airfare and car rental and consider both for each city you decide to fly into. We've visited Grand Canyon from all three of the cities I mentioned. Phoenix is a little closer than Vegas, but car rentals are usually much higher and you get to see different things along the way from any of these cities.

If you are planning to do the trip this summer, you should look at arranging lodging near or in Grand Canyon even if you are planning on camping.
Old Dec 23rd, 2016, 02:06 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I wouldn't -- that is a LOT of driving and not much seeing.

It would likely be more cost effective (and a lot easier) to cut the trip length back to maybe 7 or 8 days and fly out to Las Vegas, visit the GC and other parks and fly home.
Old Dec 24th, 2016, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Our plan as of now is to depart eastern PA around dinner time. Drive over night taking turns while kids sleep. Knock out first 15 hours take a break someplace until late afternoon drive 8 more and sleep. Take a full day off someplace interesting drive a 10 hour day and arrive on day 4. Explore the southwest for a few days and return home using northern route. We will have 16 days total. Maybe take more time driving and have a week to explore. Kids have done long trips about 15 hours, but nothing like this.
Old Dec 24th, 2016, 01:56 PM

I like road trips, but I find I need a decent amount of sleep at night to make them fun. Mr. Pickle and I realized we get really crabby if we drive too late at night!

If it's doable, I would look at flying if you can find inexpensive airfares. Check Southwest; there are most likely other airlines in your area you could consider as well.

If not, extend your trip by as many days as you can so you can all enjoy the drive.

Lee Ann
Old Dec 26th, 2016, 06:15 AM

Four air tickets is way cheaper than gas, tolls, hotels and food for 7 or 8 days on the road... once you're there it's easier to rent a car and use the bonus days to explore the southwest fully... there's much more to see than just the GC.