Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Road Trips
Reload this Page >

Five to six day road trip from San Francisco to Seattle. Help please.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I am trying to decide whether or not to drive from our home in the Bay Area to Seattle for our annual summer family visit trip instead of flying. I am thinking about renting a car and driving one way, spending time with family in Seattle and flying back. Taking between 5 and 6 nights to do the driving portion would be nice as I'd like to have some time to sightsee and relax along the way. We could do less or more.

I am thinking of bypassing the Northern Califonia coastline but staying to the coast up through Oregon and Washington, heading up and around the Olympic Peninsula and enter Seattle from that direction.

It has been 25 years or so since I've done this and my partner had never been up the coast past Mendocino. I am very green about locations to stop and places to stay and for how long. I could use some help.

I do think I want to stay at Tu Tu Tun lodge in Oregon, and I'd like to stop at Lake Cresent on the OP, but other than that I have no idea where to stay and where to stop.

Thanks!
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

After rereading my message I want to add that I don't have to be on the coast the whole time. I've never been to Crater Lake. Would that be a worthwhile stop? I've also never been to the Columbia Gorge or Mount Hood. I would be open to the idea of seeing sights and touring in Oregon only and doing an express drive up 5 to Seattle after hitting the border, but I do like the idea of showing my partner the Olympic Peninsula. Thanks again.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 03:09 PM

Here is a Crater Lake, Oregon Coast, Olympic Peninsula itinerary:

Crater Lake (2)
Gold Beach, Tu Tu Tun Lodge (1)
Cannon Beach (1)
Lake Crescent Lodge ONP (2)
Seattle

If you don't go to ONP:

Crater Lake (2)
Gold Beach (1)
Cannon Beach (1)
Portland (2)

Visiting Mt. Hood and the Columbia River Gorge from Portland.

If you are willing to give up Tu Tu Tun Lodge, from Crater Lake you could go to Overleaf Lodge in Yachats (OR 138 to Elkton and then 38--which follows the Umpqua River--to Reedsport, and 101).

Old Apr 5th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

How about this?

Crater Lake (2)
Yachats (1)
Canon Beach (1)
Kalaloch (1)
Lake Crescent Lodge (2)

Thanks,

Bill
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 05:39 PM

I'm not a fan of Kalaloch; I prefer Lake Quinault Lodge, where FDR stayed when he dedicated the ONP in the 1930s.

Now that you are springing for 7 nights, I suggest:

Crater Lake (2)
Yachats (1)
Cannon Beach (1)
Portland (1) and Columbia Gorge
Lake Crescent Lodge (2)

Cannon Beach is very close to Portland.
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 05:57 PM

To elaborate, when you see Lake Crescent, you will understand why I suggest you spend two nights there.

Whether you go to the ONP from Cannon Beach or Portland, you can easily see Quinault Lake, Kalaloch, and Ruby Beach on your way to Lake Crescent.

It would be a long day, but you would also have time to go to the Hoh Rain Forest (one hour in; one hour out) if you wish. If you opt not to go to the Hoh Rain Forest, you will pass through a forest that looks a lot like a rain forest when you take the easy hike to Marymere Falls from Lake Crescent Lodge.

Staying at Lake Crescent you are well situated to visit other ONP attractions such as Sol Duc Hotsprings and Hurricane Ridge.

Old Apr 5th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks HTTY for the details. It is good to know that we can make it from Cannon Beach to Lake Crescent the same day. I really want to see the ocean beaches.

Would you recommend staying at the Park Lodge at Crater Lake?
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 05:43 AM

Yes, I would definitely stay at Crater Lake Lodge--the only lodging right on the lake.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again. I think I am going to save TuTuTun for a 3 or 4 day getaway on its own.

I'd like to spend two nights on the coast. Would Yachats or Cannon Beach be better for that? Is the Overleaf lodge within in walking distance of the town of Yachats? In Cannon Beach, the Surfsand looks perfect.

I am leaning towards two nights in Cannon Beach, then heading out early the next morning to make the most of the day driving through the OP towards Lake Crescent.

Any other hints or suggestions about destinations or places to stop?
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 11:20 AM

bookmarking
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 11:38 AM

I would lean towards 2 nights at Cannon Beach, partly for the reason you suggest (you'll need to get an early start for the full day between there and Lk Crescent).

Yes, you can walk from the Overleaf into town or it's a short drive.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks NWW. I appreciate the info!
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 12:06 PM

Hey bill, i would definitely stay in the lodge at crater lake. Keep calling to get in on a cancellation if they're booked. Pay the extra for a room with a view; even though you're not in your room that much, its soo nice.

However, while i LOVE crater lake - its jaw-dropping stunning and breathtaking, i would only spend one night. While it takes some time just getting there, i don't think more than one night is necessary. Even if you hike down to the lake and / or do the boat ride. JMHO but there are too many other awesome places on your itineray where the time could be better spent.

Sounds like a great trip. Have fun!
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Hi ellen,
Thanks. This trip won't be until next summer, so I will hopefully be able to get a prime room at the lodge at Crater Lake and other places we will visit.

Where would you add the Crater Lake takeaway night? Another night at Lake Crescent? A night in Portland? Some other place along the coast? Thanks for the help.
Old Apr 6th, 2008, 05:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Add the night somewhere on the coast! I've only been to Cannon Beach but friends & family all like Yachats alot too. I love some of the Washington State beaches Long Beach, Ocean Shores, Graylands, etc. but would be a bit out of your way on this trip.

I also personally strongly did not care for Kalaloch (and I like almost everywhere -lol). Really just didn't do a thing for me.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks suze...anyone else? ttt!
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 05:22 AM

Hi Bill,

Glad to hear its next year as you'll likely get a place in the lodge. The lofted rooms / suites are nice with super views.

I would add the extra night somewhere on the oregon coast. Thats one area we have yet to explore so i can't suggest specifics, but from what i understand its all wonderful.

Agree with suze too; the WA coast is fabulous. We really enjoyed Ocean Shores where you can ride horses on an extremely wide beach. Might be too much for this trip but oh what the heck, just add a few more days!

Old Apr 7th, 2008, 05:24 AM

hmm, how did that wide spacing happen? Posting from my pda but have before without that happening??
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 05:37 AM

I would agree that one night at Crater Lake is enough. Definitely do the boat tour though! For that, you go to the Cleetwood Cove trailhead, which is right there on the rim drive, and the kiosk there will sell the tickets. You do need to get there early as the tickets for the day sell quickly. So go early, get tickets, and if you have time to kill before your ride, you can drive around a bit.

As far as Cannon Beach goes, the Surfsand is excellent. We have stayed there numerous times and love it. They just remodeled two years ago. It is the only resort on the Oregon coast with cabana service. The location is great in that is looks right out to Haystack Rock, yet it is a 5 minute walk to the heart of downtown. The restaurant on site is good too (the Wayfarer).

Old Apr 7th, 2008, 05:40 AM

I forgot to add. On your way up to Crater Lake, stop in Union Creek at Beckies Cafe for pie. My dad cannot come to the Bend, OR area from the east bay without stopping here, lol! He has been doing this since he was a kid, if that tells you anything

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -