First time road trip from Wisconsin to Maine with 3 adults and 2 dogs

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2017, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are driving East using Portland Maine as the destination and then back to Wisconsin. We plan to leave the first week in June and have 2 weeks to travel there and back. What is the most scenic drive? We would like to include some of the Atlantic Coast to Portland. What are other sights along the way and are there any good kennels to place the dogs close to Portland.
Old Apr 9th, 2017, 06:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
As much as I love dogs (and cats), do the dogs serve any purpose in Maine other than to eat into your budget for food and lodging?
The closest route would go through Canada but I don't know about taking the dogs into Canada. Check with your vet.
For an all US route, make a stop in Erie PA and take them to Presque Isle State Park on Lake Erie.
Another place to see is the Indiana Dunes which has a view of the Chicago skyline.
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 02:31 AM

googlemaps shows I90 along the Great Lakes. I've done that route from Columbus OH. But in Albany, instead of going through MA (I think the Mass Turnpike is a very boring route) head to Bennington VT and then to Brattleboro. This will take you over Hogback Mountain. Then head to Keene NH, then Concord NH. When it joins I89 it's fairly scenic for an interstate but there is an option to take state highway through villages. I89 end at Rt 3A in Bow but you can take a last exit to I93N. You can avoid commercial strip by then taking I393 east which connects with Rt 4.

This will take you to Portsmouth NH with a picturesque approach over the bridges that cross Great Bay. If you need to walk the dogs and want a long walk, Wagon Hill Farm is open to the public and allows dogs on leash. There is a trail that takes you to the waters edge.

Rt 4 connects with Rt 16 and then the Portsmouth NH traffic circle where you can get on I95N to Portland ME. Rt 1 has some very commercial strips and is slower but more interesting. There are other places you can walk dogs like Rachel Carson park but it might be best to exit I95 to a beach you want to visit. Depends on how fast/slow you want to drive. I95 can be boring. York Beach is the family favorite and there's a nice grassy park overlooking beach.

Fort Williams Park in South Portland is beautiful and includes a lighthouse. Great view overlooking Casco Bay.

Sorry, no advice on kennels. Last May I spent a weekend in Wells ME with a friend who has dogs. She found a motel unit with kitchen that allowed dogs. We left the dog in the motel for a couple of hours at a time but she also took the dog walking several times a day.
Old Apr 10th, 2017, 03:31 AM

I agree that dfrostnh has given a nice option for heading through VT and NH rather than using Mass pike.

If you must bring the dogs, google "dog friendly lodging" to find places that accept them. I'm sure there are kennels near Portland where locals board their pets when they go away, but why not find one near your home that comes well recommended and avoid the stress to yourself and the dogs?

Most of the beaches do not allow dogs during the day (8 - 5) but very early and evening on a leash are ok. Do pick up after them.

The first week in June can be lovely, but it also can be cool and damp in Maine. It also is still black fly season if you are in a wooded area even half a mile from the coast.
Old Apr 12th, 2017, 12:26 PM

I completely agree with dfrost and emalloy, but I would get off I-90 earlier, around Rochester, NY, and cross New York State on US 20 through the Finger Lakes and perhaps Cooperstown if any of you are baseball fans. This beautiful country, lots of wineries, charming and historic towns. When you hit the Hudson, head for VT.
Old Apr 13th, 2017, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Great advice. Thanks!