Kansas City to Maine

Search

Kansas City to Maine

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kansas City to Maine

We are traveling from the KC area October 2 through October 12 and I have read forums, looked at maps, searched the internet and I am not sure where to go. I know the first couple of stops, Carthagena, Niagara Falls, and then from there ??? We don't want cities, we don't like to shop, we have little money, we don't want bumper to bumper traffic. We want to see beautiful country, mountains, lakes, as we travel through upperstate New York, through Vermont, New Hampshire to the coast of Maine and then back to KC. We like to hike, maybe a little biking (but are not bringing bikes), we are throwing in a tent but not my husbands favorite thing to do but are wanting to keep the cost down. The first and most important I guess is the fall color and natures beauty. Somebody had mentioned in a forum Camden Maine, the finger lakes and we had thought about the Adirondack mountains but it may be too lake for that area. It is just so hard because we never get to travel and we want to see everything. Please someone put us together a map to follow. It is 4 adults, my grand daughter keeps asking me why it has to be an adult trip! Thanks for your help.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 02:05 AM

Camden ME is one of Yankee Magazine's top picks for foliage. It's beautiful any time of year. From NH's White Mountains/Conway area it's about an hour to Portland ME, a wonderful small city with a great Old Port area. Consider a boat ride on Casco Bay. We took the mail boat cruise last June. There's a parking garage right next to the ferry terminal. There's some narration but basically a stop at several islands to deposit people and stuff. Portland has some great restaurants so a morning cruise can be followed by lunch. It's 2 hours north to Rockland. Nice easy hike to Owls Head light. I think it's about another hour north to Camden. I wouldn't go much further north than Camden because of time. If weather is good, take a picnic lunch on top of Mt Battie (take auto road). We carry bag chairs in the car.

You might want to see one beach south of Portland because sandy beaches are rare north of Portland. I would not visit southern Maine on a weekend because of traffic. You could walk the Marginal Way in Ogunquit, or visit York Beach and walk up to the famous Nubble Light. Continue south to Portsmouth NH. If you didn't take a boat trip in Portland, take one in Portsmouth. Either the harbor cruise or inland rivers is good. Parking in the parking garage and you are within walking distance of the boat dock. Portsmouth has great restaurants. From the Strawbery Banke historic area you can take Rt 1B out thru Newcastle.

But I jumped ahead. Just about any road thru VT is going to be great. You could take the ferry across Lake Champlain to Burlington or go up to the northern end and come down thru the islands. That route ends up near Burlington. It take about a morning for the drive. The western side of VT along Lake Champlain is farming country so you'll see beautiful rolling farmland. You might head east to the Quechee area for a visit to Simon Pearce. The restaurant will be out of the budget range but you can explore the building. They generate their own hydro-electric power. Check schedule for glass blowing and pottery demos.

You can get on Rt 89 to head southeast into NH. This is not a direct route but I'll explain. From Concord NH you can head north on Rt 93. Yes, it's the interstate but it goes right thru NH's White Mountains. From Concord you'll be in the mountains in about 1 1/2 hours. I suggest approaching from the south because it's really nice to see the mountains get closer and closer. I would not take this hwy if it's a Friday evening or Saturday because of the foliage traffic. Depending on how much time you have instead of taking Rt 89 all the way to Concord, get off in New London NH. Winslow State Park is a lovely small park with a trail to the top of Mt Kearsarge. Great views from the parking area. It's a toll road but I think it's worth it if the weather is good. Another good place for a picnic. Just found out that's where a friend got married (years before we met him and his family). Backtrack a bit and follow map thru Sutton, Bradfor to Warner NH. Lovely small town. You'll be on Rt 103 now. Follow this all the way to Concord. In Hopkinton take a short detour for Gould Hill Orchards. They have antique apple varieties and a pretty nice view. Rt 103 will deposit you in downtown Concord where you can pick up Rt 93N.

As you head north on Rt 93 you can make a detour at exit 23/Meredith to Lake Winnipesaukee. Drive to the Moultonborough area and then up to Squam Lake and Center Sandwich NH, a beautiful small town. Take a new route to get you back to Rt 93. If it's mid-week take Kancamagus Hwy over to Conway.

In a few hours we're heading to the White Mountains for the weekend. It's not a far drive but I hate to say it, with so many beautiful areas in New England we haven't spent much time there in a long time. Thanks to DS we used to visit Center Sandwich in February and I went on a great garden tour one summer in that area. We hate crowds and DH hates cities so we don't go foliage peeping. The view is great from our own porch. I know Rt 89 and 93 will be congested during peak travel times. I've already given you an alternative (but slower) route to Concord. There are several places you could cut thru with a good map to Rt 93 without going to Cncord. You could take Rt 3 north (again slower). Get yourselves a good map with detailed state hwys and find a different route if there's traffic congestion. Also travel smart. The Kanc is probably do-able on the weekend IF it's right after breakfast.

If the weather is good you might want to consider kayaking on a quiet river. Once you choose your general route/places to stay each night you can concentrate more on finding the spots the average tourist overlooks.
Happy travels!
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 04:17 AM

Nice post, dfrostnh!
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 05:17 AM

ditto on the great post---the poster probably will want to know WHEN to go for the foliage as well.Im thinking early Oct--is that correct/Ive only been to Camden twice,and loved the town,but it can get crowded with tourists,at least it was for us.We loved Owls Head,and Acadia park, the whole Bar Harbor area.I know its further North,but if Im driving from KC,id definietly see the rest of the coast up to Bar harbor, while im on my trip.Dont know if they allow camping at Acadia,but its very neat place--have fun
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 03:36 AM

dfrostnh has done a great job, as always, but he never mentioned Rte 101, which is a great way to go across from the Concord, NH area to or from coastal Maine. We love that road, and it sure beats some other ways to go across that area. Just a thought!

Acadia National Park is a lovely camping area, if still open at that time of year (better check), but it sounds as if camping is NOT really what you all want to do -- especially when you say you "tossed in a tent"! I don't know how much camping you've done, but you generally need more than just a tent -- like decent sleeping bags and/or pads or inflatable mattresses, etc. At that time of year, it can get pretty darned chilly overnight in Maine, too! (We enjoyed camping in tents and leanto's for many years, but now we tend to prefer a bit more comfort!)

I hope you have a great trip!!!!!