East Coast Road Trip Itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2017, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be attending a wedding in Baltimore over Memorial Day weekend, 2018. We will leave on Monday, Memorial Day and have all week to travel south to Savannah, GA where we will fly home on Saturday. I would love recommendations of things to see and do and places to stay along the way as we have not traveled in this part of the country before. We are outdoorsy and enjoy hiking, kayaking and biking. We also love visiting wineries and brew pubs! Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 14th, 2017, 06:41 PM

Although I have read and gleaned many useful tips from these forums for awhile this is the first time I'm posting. I live in Baltimore and have traveled to South Carolina and the Georgia coast several times.

I would count on two fairly full days of driving from Baltimore to Savannah. I-95 is the most direct route and if you have never traveled in this area of the country before I would take it. Here is my suggestion for you road trip — you're in for a treat, it is a (mostly) beautiful area.

If you haven't been to Washington, D.C. this is a must do. It's an easy Marc train ride from Penn Station in Baltimore. If you already have a car then drive to New Carrolton or one of the other Metro stops outside D.C. and leave the car there for the day. A car will be useful in Baltimore but not in D.C.

Instead of spending the night in D.C. start the drive South on Monday evening. Richmond might be a good place to stop —it should have plenty of brew pubs!
Richmond also has white water rafting so you could go kayaking.

I have not found much of interest along I-95 in NC. I would love it if some one else can correct me on this, but unless you want to take a detour to the mountains (west) or coast (east) then your best bet is to keep driving until you hit Charleston.

Charleston is a beautiful city and riding bikes along Rainbow Row could be great fun. Also make your way to at least one of the plantations — maybe Middleton Place. It would allow you to be outdoors. There are kayak tours (kayaking under Spanish moss is magical) It also forces one to consider the terrible legacy of slavery.

On Friday, drive to Savannah, wander around the city and have dinner before the flight home Saturday.

P.S. Baltimore has some fun brew pubs — try https://www.unioncraftbrewing.com in Hampden. If you need other restaurant recs or suggestions for Baltimore tell me what area of the city you are staying in and I will try to help!
Old Oct 15th, 2017, 01:11 AM

It's out of the way but only about an our west - don't miss Frederick MD. Google Community Bridge and enjoy the walk along the river. If you see the website's before and after photos, you will appreciate what the bridge did for the community. Have lunch at the Turkish restaurant. Stroll the shopping area/stores to see more trompe l'oeil painting on buildings. We also visited a winery but I don't remember where.
Old Oct 15th, 2017, 03:17 AM

Good suggestions so far. If you are interested in American Civil War history, you could stop along the way at many sites, with National Battle field parks like Fredricksburg, Richmond, etc

You might also enjoy heading down to Wilmington, NC on I-40 and then heading down the coast on rt.17.
Old Oct 15th, 2017, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your feedback! These are exactly the type of tips and suggestions I was hoping for! I appreciate you taking the time to respond!