California 2 week road trip honeymoon in August

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2014, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I are planning on spending our honeymoon in California before flying off to Hawaii for another friend's wedding. We're thinking of flying into San Fran July 30th, spend 2 weeks, then fly to Hawaii on Aug 13th from LA but would like some advice on our itinerary! We are in our late 20's and love good food, wine, nightlife and culture so we think San Fran would be a good place to start. As it's our honeymoon, we do want to spend some time relaxing but also would like to be kept busy for most of the trip. We'll be on a beach anyways in Hawaii for the wedding so we don't want to spend tooo much time laying around, but would definitely love the views. I've put together a rough outline but would like to hear some thoughts from the experts!

4 nights - Fly in to San Francisco, pick up car

3 nights - Napa Valley/Sonoma

2 nights - Monterey/Carmel

2 nights - Big Sur

2 nights - Santa Barbara

2 nights - LA, fly out to Hawaii

What do you guys think of the distribution? We've been to LA and are not super keen on staying there too long, thought about omitting it altogether but it seems easiest for the flight to Hawaii right after.

Appreciate any help!!
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 02:47 PM

I recommend Hearst Castle when you drive the coast. It was one of the highlights of our trip. Don't skip it not unless you have been before.
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 02:52 PM

I think that looks like a pretty good itinerary - good variety, not too rushed.

If it was my trip, I would probably spend 2 nights in the Napa area and 3 in Monterey/Carmel.

I like Big Sur a lot, and think that 2 nights there is terrific - but you should know that it is pretty remote, with long stretches of no civilization. Most of the civilization is clustered around the Big Sur village, which is about 45 min-1 hour south of Monterey/Carmel. Then you go further south and have a couple lodging choices on the south end - Treebones being the most compelling (IMO) - it is luxury camping in yurts

For people who like a bit more civilization than Big Sur offers, a common choice is to drive through Big Sur in 1 day and stay in Cambria, Morro Bay, or Pismo Beach where you have more access to restaurants and things. Both are good choices, it just depends on what you want to do.
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 02:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd cut one night from Napa/Sonoma and add it to Monterey Carmel. Simply because by the time you sightsee and stop along the way (Santa Cruz, Capitola, etc), you won't get to Monterey/Carmel til late afternoon so will only have one full day there.

Or - if you want to keep 3 nights in Sonoma county (nicer than Napa IMO) you could cut one night from Big Sur. 3 nights in Carmel, then a short but VERY scenic drive down the coast into Big Sur.

I'd also consider cutting LA back to one night before flying out - since you don't want to see/do much there why 'waste' a day/night that could be spent on the coast . . . and that way you could keep two nights in Big Sur.
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 02:54 PM

was postng the same time as november_moon . . . .
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 03:42 PM

I again agree with janisj and november_moon. Less wine country & more Carmel & Big Sur (1 night is fine for Big Sur - unless you want to do a lot of hiking).

There must be 3-4 active posts with this same itinerary.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips! Hmm, I didn't realize quite how remote Big Sur was...I think we'd like to be a bit closer to civilization, be able to go out in the evening and check out the nightlife etc. We might keep the 3 nights in Napa/Sonoma simply because we love wine tasting so much, but perhaps cut the 1 night from Big Sur and add to Carmel.

Thoughts on staying in Monterey vs. Carmel?

Also, what do you guys think about cutting out Santa Barbara and LA altogether and just making the loop trip back up to SFO to save the one way car rental fees? Do Santa Barbara and Monterey/Carmel have sort of a similar feel, or is it worth checking out and driving through to LA?

Thanks again for the help
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 05:29 PM

>>Thoughts on staying in Monterey vs. Carmel?<<

I'm not a big fan of Monterey - visiting or staying. I would much rather stay in Carmel or Pacific Grove (in a Victorian B&B).

>>Also, what do you guys think about cutting out Santa Barbara and LA altogether and just making the loop trip back up to SFO to save the one way car rental fees?<<
.....and perhaps a drop-off charge.

Good idea - especially cutting LA if you can't spend at least 3 nights there. The LA freeways & LA might be a shock to you after Carmel, Big Sir, and the Big Sur coast.

<<Do Santa Barbara and Monterey/Carmel have sort of a similar feel<<

Nope - nothing here is like Carmel, Pt Lobos, Carmel Beach, & Spanish Bay,

>>or is it worth checking out and driving through to LA?<<

LA & the LA freeways is why we moved to the SF Bay Area in 1975, after spending almost 28 years in LA (don't remember much about the first 5 years of my life).

Nightlife in Big Sur.
There is usually some sort of "event" at the River Inn in Big Sur in the evenings - but we've never attended one (not our thing). After a memorable dinner at Nepenthe, we like to sit by the big outside fire, under the stars, gaze down the coast if there is still daylight, and drink an Irish Coffee. That's our nightlife.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Just revisiting this thread after finalizing the Napa and San Fran legs of the trip, now just trying to decide on the middle!

After our 3 nights in Carmel, we are thinking of driving along the coast and spending 2 nights in the Morro Bay area before driving back up to San Francisco.

With a day driving down from Carmel to Morro Bay, one full day in the Morro Bay area, and then the next day driving back up to SF, what is realistic for us to be able to see? Based on reviews, we'd at least really like to see Hearst Castle, Julia Pfeiffer State Park, the redwoods, and Nepenthe at Big Sur. I'd also love to go ATV-ing in the sand dunes at Pismo Beach, but willing to forego that if it's too out of the way and not viable with the rest of our itinerary. I was tentatively thinking of saving Hearst Castle for the last day on the drive back to San Francisco (since it's ~45 min north of Morro Bay on google maps) but wanted to hear what you guys think.

Also, staying in Morro Bay, is it worth it to drive out to Cambria and check it out, or better to just stay in the Morro Bay/San Luis Obispo area?

Appreciate the help!
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 04:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe Paso Robles instead of Morro Bay since you love winetasting so much. Or a night or two in the Santa Ynez Valley combined with your Santa Barbara night(s)?
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 04:53 PM

Morrow bay ?? - I'd rather stay in Paso Robles for the wine tasting or even Cambria for the quaintness or Pismo Beach. I agree about cutting out LA and swinging back to SFO. If you want to drive south then I would drive farther and hit Carlsbad, LaJolla and./or San Diego or even Coronado for a lovely treat for a few days.but it is at least an 8 hour drive from SF to Carlsbad on hiway 5. Otherwise itinerary sounds great. Sonoma instead of Napa???...both are nice but I also prefer Sonoma I love the Fairmont's Sonoma Mission Inn (Cafe LaHaye or El Dorado Kitchen for dinners) in Sonoma. Just returned from a nice weekend there... The Lodge at Sonoma is also quite lovely..... Monterey... The Tickle Pink Inn which is next to the Highlands Inn is wonderful. (don't let the name fool you) It is named after Senator Tickle whose house was there and his wife had nothing but pink flowers in her garden. Awesome view of the ocean and the Montery aquarium is quite nice as well. Carmel is quite charming and just a hop skip and jump from Montery. Excellent wine tasting in Carmel Valley. AlThough there are some really nice B&B in Pacific Grove, some overlooking the Montery Bay...Have a wonderful honeymoon and a great trip to Hawaii - an extension of the honeymoon!
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 05:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You can drive south down Hwy. 1 and return to SF on the quicker, 4 lane US 101. Driving down Hwy 1 from Carmel, you can spend a few days in Cambria and see Hearst Castle, wine taste near Paso. Pismo is not out of the way and riding on the dunes is sooo much fun! You can even maybe spend a day or so around Pismo. Nearby is more wine tasting in the Edna Valley and See Canyon, just outside of San Luis Obispo. Then just head north on 101 thru the Salinas Valley, Gilroy, San Jose, SF.
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the well wishes! These are great ideas. We'd love to drive further south, but figure if we're going to cut LA we might as well spend a bit longer in northern/central California and save the rest of Southern California for another trip Ok, maybe we'll axe the Morro Bay idea and spend the 2 nights down in the Pismo Beach area? Updated itinerary:

4 nights in Napa and Sonoma

3 nights in Carmel (check out Big Sur, state parks, Bixby bridge? en route to Pismo Beach)

2 nights in Pismo Beach ( sand dunes and nearby wine tasting outside SLO?); check out, then drive back towards SFO with a stop at Hearst Castle on the way

5 nights in San Francisco

then Hawaii!!

How does this look?
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 08:42 PM

Looks really nice - leisurely pace. For me 4 nights would be too many in Napa/Sonoma . . . But then I live 90 minutes away and I have other vineyard/winery regions w/i every direction of home.

For me I'd do the 4 nights in Carmel and 3 in Sonoma - but that is quibbling.

(Carmel/Big Sur is one of my favorite areas to visit - right after London, Scotland and Yosemite)
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 09:57 AM

Since you're in your 20's and you will already have seen the best of the coast (Big Sur/Carmel), and you will be spending beach time in Hawaii, I would suggest you stay in SLO, and not Pismo. Pismo is fine but it's a touristy beach town. SLO has a great downtown area, lots of nightlife, lots of people your age, shopping, wineries, dining, etc. Stay somewhere directly downtown and park the car. Then it's a straight shot up the 101 back to SFO.

Keep in mind that it can be pretty chilly on the coast in August, especially at night. It can also be foggy. SLO will most likely have perfect weather.
Old Jan 16th, 2014, 10:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pismo in August is kinda crazy busy/hectic etc. I like the area but would avoid in August. However, Los Olivos/Santa Ynez is only 45 minutes further and might be cooler/more pleasant than Paso Robles in August?