Arizona/ New Mexico Road trip with kids: suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2017, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I am planning a road trip of Arizona and New Mexico with three children (ages 9, 3, and 3) in mid February. We have about 8 days altogether. We plan to fly in and out of Phoenix (although this can change based on suggestions). We have already been to Grand Canyon and Sedona/ Montezuma castle during past trips within the last 1-2 years, and don't really plan on visiting either of these big attractions this time, which hopefully leaves us some time to explore other options. Our main interests are national parks/ state parks, although we are not big hikers. Any suggestions for an itinerary with these in mind are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 06:46 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Excluding those for GC/Sedona, there have been some good suggestions on this recent thread:

https://www.fodors.com/community/uni...to-arizona.cfm

Do the 8 days include travel days at the start & end ("8 days altogether"). Leaving you 6 full days for exploring? Even if it were 8 it would be something of a forced march to see NM too as most of the interesting places are deep into the state and on a north/south axis more or less, as they are in AZ. I think your best bet is to see AZ south of Phoenix this trip. Plenty to do without the long drives.
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 09:23 AM

And keep in mind that is winter here and winter means cold and a good likelihood of snow. Be prepared.

I would either fly in and out of ABQ and make your focus on NM or do Tucson and Los Cruces, Carlsbad Caverns.
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 06:46 PM

North from Phx., there is Sunset Crater, the painted desert and Petrified National Park all near Flagstaff.

In Phx., area there is OdySea aquarium, Arizona Science Center, jeepimg in the desert, hot air balloning over the desert, there may be a children's program while you are here at the Desert Botanical Gardens, you may want to check their website.

South of Phx. Is the town of Tucson, Old Tucson movie set, Pima air and space museum.

South of Tucson, Saguaro National park, Kartchner Caverns, Tombstone with Tombstone Courthouse State Park and the OK Corral. There is also the old mining town of Bisbee.

Weather should be beautiful in Phx and all points south. There is a possibility of snow in the area around Flagstaff but odds are good that weather will be good.
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. After looking at the linked trip report and another on New Mexico, I understand why 7 full days may not be enough to do justice to both states (even without Grand Canyon and Sedona). With the temperatures, I'm leaning more towards doing an Arizona trip alone. Any additional comments are welcome. And happy new year!
Old Jan 1st, 2018, 07:53 AM

Start a new thread...
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 02:03 PM

If you click on my user name and look at my trip reports, you will see one for Tucson with kids. It was really fun!! We were there for almost 5 days.
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 02:52 PM

White Sands at Alamagordo. Top of my list, even without the sleds.

https://www.nps.gov/whsa/planyourvisit/sledding.htm