Search

Anna Maria, FL to Savannah, GA - Road Trip Ideas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2020, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anna Maria, FL to Savannah, GA - Road Trip Ideas

Hello!

I am planning a 2 week holiday this Summer. My husband is currently working away so I'm planning our annual break to distract me! Hoping that the virus will have passed and we can enjoy some time together in the sunshine in FL & GA in July/Aug.

Any advise on the below proposed itinerary would be great:
I am not sure if it's going to be too rushed to squeeze in Charleston - if so, are there any other suggestions?

Day 1: Arrive in either Jacksonville or Tampa
Day 2-8: Drive to Anna Maria (7 nights in Anna Maria - we like it there and fancy a week at the beach before a road trip)
Day 9: Drive Anna Maria to St. Augustine (1 night St.Augustine)
Day 10-11: Drive St. Augustine to Savannah (2 nights Savannah)
Day 12: Drive Savannah to Charleston (1 night in Charleston) - Is it worth going to Charleston or should we just have 3 nights in Savannah?
Day 13: Start to head back South (1 night in maybe Amelia Island area - or any other suggestions?)
Day 14: Drive back to Jacksonville/Tampa for flight home

Thank you to anyone who can help me plan a memorable 2-week trip!
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 06:11 AM

Yes on Charleston. I'd actually do the road trip before the beach and spend a few more days at a couple of places and fewer on the beach. BUT it IS your trip.

Well, hadn't realized where Anna Maria is and I am sure it is beautiful, but my reverse idea wouldn't work for that beach. Maybe shift your beach time to the east coast of Florida or Georgia. Lot of driving from west coast just for a beach time IMO.

Last edited by Gretchen; Mar 12th, 2020 at 06:14 AM.
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 11:04 AM

I'd second the idea of staying on the east coast. Fly into Jacksonville and then spend a week on Amelia Island or St. Augustine Beach. Amelia Island would be quieter, but Fernandina Beach has lots of great little stores and restaurants. Both are within an easy drive of Jacksonville Airport. Since you have two weeks, you could then take 4 nights in Savannah and 3 in Charleston. I strongly recommend you get accommodation in the heart of the old City of Savannah or Charleston. There is so much to see in both and walking to restaurants in the evening is a delight.
Old Mar 13th, 2020, 12:03 PM

Great ideas above!! YOu will NOT regret doing something akin to this rather than going over to the west coast. Lots of great places.
Old Mar 16th, 2020, 04:52 AM

jlab, I agree with your wanting to stay on AMI for the beach (fly into Tampa not Jacksonville though). Amelia Island and St Augustine beaches just don't hold a candle to AMI. Though I would suggest St Augustine historic area for day 13 in your itinerary.