Sarasota/Anna Maria Island Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2003, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just returned from a 6 day hop down to the Sarasota/Anna Maria Island area from chilly Michigan. We were thrilled to arrive in 80 degree sunny weather. We took USA3000 airlines out of Detroit Metro into St. Pete airport at a fare of $79 each way. Flight was very satisfactory, on time, with meal service (using the term "meal" loosely here). You can tell this is a new airline as they were using a clipboard instead of computer monitor at check-in. But, hey, the price couldn't be beat. St. Pete airport is small - everything, including car rental, inside one building. Finding our way out was easy, however, finding our way back to the airport was a nightmare. Maybe it was the sand between my toes, or lack of desire to leave, but we almost missed our flight...

Our accomodations were at Bungalow Beach Resort on Bradenton Beach, Anna Maria Island. (About an hour's drive from he airport.) We had a two bedroom, two bath bungalow with small living room/kitchenette. The bungalows are old Florida style renovated to look almost country french meets beach style. Everything is painted white, with natural wood floors and huge beds with duvets and lots of pillows. Everything is new and extremely clean. Our bungalow was closer to the street and traffic noise was a problem if you chose not to use the wall air conditioner which masked the sound. The last two nights we were able to move to a beach-front bungalow with a small front porch where we enjoyed sitting and watching the sunset. These beach-front units are the most preferable and I highly recommend them.
There is a great deli nearby for delicious take-out.

Our first day we spent on the beach, soaking up the rays and taking long walks. Early in the morning there is great shelling here. I found way more intact shells than I could bring home. I was careful not to save "live" shells though - threw them back into the sea. I even found and rescued a live seahorse about 7 inches long. I've never seen that before!

My sister (who lives in Germany) loves swimming in the ocean and swam an hour or two eacj day. She was the only one I saw swimming in the ocean like that. She was startled once by a large "tail" or fin and stayed out of the water for awhile afterwards. A few days later we saw a family of porpoises swimming close to shore along the beach. Pehaps that is what she saw. (Hope so...)

That evening we indulged in an expensive dinner at Beach Bistro. We got there just at sunset and took a great sunset photo right out in front. The inside is all windows looking out over the sand and water. I say go for lunch, because at night the view is wasted by the darkness. (Cheaper too.) This place has won all kinds of accolades, even been lauded as the "best restaurant in Florida." While our meal was good, I wouldn't go so far as that. I had duck, she had spicy shrimp. For dessert, Sis ordered bananas foster, which she thought would be flamed tableside. When they brought her was a dish of melting vanilla ice cream with a few cut bananas thrown on top. Definitely anti-climactic. She was told the fire codes prevented flaming at tableside and she walk over to the bar and watch while they did it. She sent it back.

As each day passed, our agenda kept getting pushed back so we could enjoy the fabulous beach and weather. It was only when the sun went down that we tore ourselves away, attending a Puccini concert at the Sarasota Opera House (that night we had a very nice dinner at Bistro Cafe just across the street), and a world premiere performance of "Ca D'Zan" at the very purple Van Wezel Performance Hall in Sarasota. Both very scintillating and satisfying performances!

On our last two days, the weather turned a bit cloudy and slightly cooler and we visited the Ringling Museum complex, Marie Selby Gardens and did a little shopping at St. Armand's Circle. These things were fun, but mere diversions from the main attraction for us, which was ocean and beach, beach and ocean. Our last few hours were spent drinking wine on our porch watching the sun go down.

Thanks to all for your help in planning this trip. I'll be happy to try to answer questions. Some photos are posted at: http://community.webshots.com/user/maggiwun
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 11:42 AM
LN

It sounds like you'll be back again!! Glad to hear how much you enjoyed it. It's definitely a little paradise and Sarasota does offer a lot with theatre and opera.

Come back again and stay a little longer!
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 12:00 PM

Interesting report. I'm guessing the place across from the Opera House you're talking about is Bijou Cafe, though.

Interesting about Beach Bistro. I haven't been there for a while and it sounds not so great as it was. Of course, I always went when the sunset was much later and very pleasant at night, but you have a real point about dinner at this time of year. And I'd have to agree that flaming tableside could be dangerous at that "old" place.
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Patrick, yes of course, it was the Bijou! I had made reservations from home at the Alley Cat Cafe, have you ever been there? It took us ages of driving back and forth to find and when we did, we didn't want to eat there. Looked just like the name suggests, an alley backyard in the midst of a bunch of weeds. Maybe we missed a jewel here, but we were glad to "discover" the Bijou.

I would have gone into more detail about Beach Bistro but some people just aren't interested in all that detail.

A place I forgot to mention was the Sand Bar on Anna Maria which, although it can't match Beach Bistro culinary standards, was a lot more fun. Feet in the sand, great margaritas, live entertainment a la Jimmy Buffet, a balmy breeze and a tablefront view of the best sunset ever!
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 12:47 PM

Maggi, you did miss a jewel. The Alley Cat is really unique and quite charming, once you get past the outside of the "compound". We often have lunch there before the theatre at the Asolo. But for dinner, you did fine with the Bijou.
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

On your recommendation, we'll go next time for sure, Patrick!
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 08:56 AM

Maggi,

I'm looking at making the same trip myself in June for my 40th. I'm glad to hear that Bungalow Beach is a nice place. I'm already plannig on gulffront. Any tips on the area for a woman traveling alone?
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Happy birthday! It's a great idea to treat yourself. The bungalows are nice and private: a great place to enjoy quiet and solitude, just to lay on a beach chair with a good book. Actually, my sister and I were quite independent of each other and I took long walks alone, especially early in the morning. There is a free trolley that runs along this whole length of Anna Maria, which is convenient in case you walk too far (like I did) and want to ride back. Just be sure you are wearing shoes. They wouldn't let me on without shoes (I love going barefoot) and I had to pop into a beach shop and convince them to give me some free flip flops until I could get back to pay them. There is great shelling, especially early in the morning. (It's against the law to take "live" shells.) Maybe you'd want to rent a bike. St. Armand's Circle is fun for window shopping, and you could do the Ringling Museum grounds and Marie Selby Gardens. Both would be great alone - lots of time to peruse to your heart's content, not to mention the photo ops. Here's a website for more information on Sarasota: http://www.sarasotafl.org/
Enjoy, and let us know how things went!