Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Road Trips
Reload this Page >

4 days for Road Trip Colorado Springs- NM - Denver; MUST SEE....???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2016, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Traveling with elder Mom. Her focused interest would be Spanish Missions, mine National Parks. If you had 4 days to loop from Colorado Springs to New Mexico and back to Denver -- based on the above interests, where would you go?
Old Aug 8th, 2016, 07:29 AM

That is a non-starter for a loop. Choose one or the other.
I'd leave out CO Springs first of all.
If you want missions go to Santa Fe and environs. One of the more interesting ones for me would be the one that has frescoes of Kachina dancers--in a Catholic church.
If you want parks, go to CO and do RMNP.
Old Aug 8th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Confused..."that is a non-starter for a loop."...??? I have to start driving from Colorado Springs and have to finish in Denver. If you can get over calling it a loop , are there any other more detailed helpful tips-- yes, Santa Fe = Missions: WHICH ONES would you recommend. I'll google Kachina dancers in a Catholic church. Thank you. New Mexico National Parks within easy access of that loop: WHICH ONES would you recommend?
Old Aug 8th, 2016, 11:24 AM

There aren't a lot of national parks near that loop. You could make a loop taking I-25 south to Santa Fe and 285 north to 50 and back to Colorado Springs.

Capulin Volcano National Monument is about 35 miles east of I-25.
Bandelier National Monument is about 30 miles west of 285.
Great Sand Dunes National Park is about 35 miles east and north of 285.
Finally, Florrisant Fossil Beds National Monument is about 35 miles west of Colorado Springs.
Old Aug 8th, 2016, 12:57 PM

Four days isn't much for the trip you want, but......

Midwest hiker has given you one loop. Here's another that will be lots of driving but I'd do it:

Day 1: Colorado Springs to Santa Fe would be about 4 hours and will give mom the spanish architecture she seeks.

Day 2: Up bright and early, spend half a day at Bandolier NM then head up to Mesa Verde (about 4 hours) spend the night in the park at Far View Lodge and have dinner in the Metate Room.

Day 3: Spend the day in Mesa Verde then head for Durango for the night

Day 4: Head back to CS, 160 is quite scenic, but you could also go north on the million dollar hwy then back on I-70
Old Aug 8th, 2016, 01:07 PM

Take I-25 a little past Raton to Hwy. 64 through Eagle Nest and Angel Fire to Taos. Visit the Pueblo and the iconic San Francisco de Asis mission church.

From Taos, drive to Santa Fe. San Miguel Church is a Spanish mission, but I don't think it's ever been open when we've been there.

Driving up Hwy. 84 from Santa Fe will take you past Pojoaque, Nambe and San Juan Pueblos - probably a couple of others I can't think at the moment. Check before you go to see if they are open to the public on the day you want to visit.
http://santafe.org/Visiting_Santa_Fe...ndian_Pueblos/

Lee Ann
Old Aug 8th, 2016, 07:43 PM

I would leave early on the first day to drive from Colorado springs to Santa Fe, but I would veer off the Interstate and go through Taos, and on the way to Santa Fe stop at the famous Santurio de Chimayo: www.elsantuariodechimayo.us. A stop at Bandelier National Monument might be possible, if you had time and felt like it: www.nps.gov/band/index.htm

I would spend the second day and possibly the third exploring the Santa Fe area, spending time on the charming plaza and seeing some missions: churches-sf2.nm-unlimited.net. Pecos National Historical Park is just 30 miles from Santa Fe. www.nps.gov/peco/index.htm. Anyone at least 65 years old can get a lifetime National Parks pass for $10, and it's good for everyone in the vehicle. Santa Fe has a great visitors center with tons of good information.

I would hit the Interstate back to Denver, but am at a loss on suggestions on what to see.
Old Aug 9th, 2016, 08:43 AM

Sorry, poor choice to say it will be a LOT of driving in a short time span and maybe difficult to fit both desires.
Here is a link about pueblo mission churches.
http://www.k-state.edu/geography/JSS...on_GR_2000.pdf

Our daughter LOVED Bandelier on a trip she took. If you do Mesa Verde (a wonder of the world in my opinion) DO stay in the Park as suggested.
Old Aug 9th, 2016, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Wonderful replies!! Awesome ideas!! Had no idea about Bandelier and now is on the draft. The emphasis on Pueblos towns also makes it a MUST See. I will take all the replies, mapped them out, and come up with a final.

This is definitely a better trip now that you above have so generously contributed to it. Many thanks. Hope to either return the favor or pay it forward.
Old Aug 9th, 2016, 03:42 PM

Besides where to go and what to see, a couple of other things that matter:

What time of year are you doing this - summer or ??

"Elder mother" means different things to different people. Can she handle walking a lot, through what might be tricky terrain?

Are you both used to altitude? That could impact your abilities - both of you.
Old Aug 11th, 2016, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Trip is on early September. Mom is a strong 82 y/o. I am not planning on "walking a lot"-- we are planning on sightseeing at a reasonable pace for a strong 82 y/o. I am pretty sure we'll manage to still enjoy the sightseeing without having to "walk a lot". Thanks again for the recommendations.
Old Aug 11th, 2016, 10:47 AM

do pay attention to the altitude. Santa Fe is surprisingly "high"! Drink lots of water and wear sunscreen.
Old Aug 12th, 2016, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we both grew up in Puerto Rico so water is already a healthy habit and quite familiar with substantial dosages of daily sun.
Old Aug 12th, 2016, 05:01 AM

Just to be clear, PR need for water may be different from high altitude need--you need to really have water bottle at the ready all the time--it helps prevent altitude sickness.
Old Aug 12th, 2016, 07:29 AM

Everyone is different, but we have traveled to Santa Fe for many years and never had a problem with altitude. It's not all that much higher than Colorado Springs. But it is very dry and extra hydration will help regardless.
Old Aug 15th, 2016, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

I have been to Santa Fe before, just for business though, so excited about the chance to sightseeing and bringing Mom. Never even notice an issue with altitude (am a jogger BTW). Jayne above is right, it seems altitude impacts people differently.
Old Aug 15th, 2016, 10:15 AM

We go to Denver often (2000 feet lower than SF) and have occasionally had episodes. You can never tell, but it ain't fun when it happens.