YUCATAN ADVICE IDEAS ETC

Jan 31st, 2003, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

YUCATAN ADVICE IDEAS ETC

Looking for advice from experienced Fodorites. Planning 7 day trip to Cancun and surrounds mid April. We are thinking of following:
* Saturday aftenoon arrive
* Rest of Saturday in Cancun (hotel zone)
* Sunday Cancun
* Monday Cancun (pick up rental car evening)
* Tuesday morning early departure driving to Chichen Itza, see ruins,
Perhaps overnight Chichen Itza, or if not then afternoon drive to Playa Del Carmen
* Reminder of time in PDC, with return back to Cancun on Saturday for car return and flight home

Thoughts? Anyone spent night at one of the hotels right at Chichen Itza? Evening sound and light show at ruins worth it or better to just see ruins and then head back to PDC? Too much time in Cancun (maybe just balance of Saturday, Sunday, and get out early Monday)? Drive time Cancun - CI - PDC? I have read 2 hours Cancun - CI, but don't know the CI - PDC timing.

Anyway I am sure that there are those out there that KNOW all the answers, so let them fly!!!

Feb 4th, 2003, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Still asking if anyone cares to share.
Thanks
Feb 5th, 2003, 09:58 AM

I would be very afraid if I were you. You want to drive in Mexico? Are you crazy? I said, ARE YOU CRAZY?!?!?!?!?

No one that has common sense would drive in Mexico, no one at all. If you MUST visit those sites, then take a tour. As I said above, IF YOU DRIVE IN MEXICO YOU ARE CRAZY AS A GRINGO LOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT EVER DRIVE IN MEXICO.
Feb 5th, 2003, 11:12 AM

If I were you, I'd shorten your time in Cancun. Get your car and leave early Monday morning for Chichen Itza. I've only done a day trip, so can't make recommendations as far as the show at night. I also can't help with drive times, since we were on a tour when we went from Cancun to the ruins. I think it was about two hours on the bus, maybe a little longer.

Although we have not rented a car while in Mexico, I can't think of any reason not to. There are some different 'rules of the road' than what I'm used to, but nothing that makes it awful. Slower traffic, at least on 307 between Playa del Carmen and Tulum pulls off onto the shoulder (paved) when there is faster traffic coming up behind. Also pull over to the right shoulder to make a left hand turn, rather than turn from the traffic lane. I wouldn't let the previous poster scare you off.
Feb 5th, 2003, 04:14 PM

There is no reason why you should be concerned about driving in the part of Mexico you are going to be traveling.
Hwy 307 is wide and well-maintained and the only hazard is that the tour buses and cab drivers cxan be a little intimidating as they like to drive very FAST!
Just pull over to the right a little and let them pass you as the other poster mentioned.
I'd stick to driving during daylight hours only because much of the road is pretty deserted as far as facilities go.
I would also suggest making time to drive down to Tulum and stop at Akumal for lunch/bar/beach time on the way.
We've been all up and down 307 several times and highly recommend it.
Have a great time!