Notices

Xel-Ha Tour

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Laurie

Xel-Ha Tour

Going to Cancun... Has anyone done the Xel-Ha all-inclusive tour? It's an all-day tour and am wondering if it is worth our time and any specifics you can tell me. Thanks!

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Nancy

Okay, everyone. Don't flame me too badly for this. I am just giving my opinion here!
Laurie, If you like:
overpriced, overcrowded, touristy, tacky theme parks, OR if you have kids aged 6-10, OR if you have not traveled much, you might like Xel Ha.
We hated it and would not go back.
Snorkeling was awful, the place was jam-packed full of people, the food at the restaurants was not good, and worst of all, they have a swim with the dolphins program.
Better to rent a car and go to Playa del Carmen or Akumal for the day, relax on the beach, and have a tasty lunch at your own pace.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 06:48 AM
Laurie

Thanks for your opinion Nancy. How far is Akumal from Cancun? I read where the best margartas are found there at lol-ha or something like that.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Nancy

Ah yes, Lol Ha! (They know us well!)
Akumal is about an hour (or a little more or less depending on how crazy your taxi driver - or you - is/are) south of Cancun on a modern 2 and 3 lane highway.
There are 2 parts to Lol Ha - the beach bar/restaurant where they serve the margaritas and good lunch - and the inside restaurant which is great for dinner.
Akumal is the perfect getaway from the hustle and bustle of Cancun. There is really good snorkeling at Yalku lagoon or off the beach at Half Moon or Akumal Bays.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Patty

I just wanted to add to Nancy's comments that Yalku lagoon is like a miniature version of Xel-Ha (without the restaurants and shops) and is much less crowded. There is rental gear on site and I believe it costs $5 admission. If you are touring the coastal area south of Cancun on your own, I highly recommend the Riviera Maya map published by Can-Do maps www.cancunmap.com - it's very detailed and lists every beach, hotel, restaurant, dive shop, tour & theme park along the coast.