Xcaret

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xcaret

I am planning on visiting Xcaret this July. I am thinking of booking through their own website (we want to swim with the dolphins there too). The tour picks you up around 8:30am and (I assume) brings you back after the night show. Is there enough to do at Xcaret to keep you busy all day? Also, the website mentions a plus package that includes a buffet lunch for $20 extra a person or a dinner package that includes a Mexican dinner for $24 per person. Both of these add-ons include reserved seating for the night show. Has anyone arranged their visit to Xcaret through the website? Did you use any of these add-on packages? Are they worth it? If we don't take these add-ons, what are the lunch/dinner options at Xcaret? Is reserved seating important for the show? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old Jun 18th, 2003, 05:17 AM

There is plenty to do at X-Caret for the full day. I didn't do the add-ins so really can't tell you much their. The show is absolutely unforgettable and this is from someone who has seen many Broadway shows. I imagine they reserve seats upfront but the theatre isn't too large to begin with...
Old Jun 20th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info! Anyone with info on Xcaret, please respond.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 02:53 PM

I agree that the night show is a must see. We just had general passes, which include the show. We had no problem getting a good seat. There are several restaurants in Xcaret, so not sure which one you'd eat at with the tour. There are performances going on throughout the day around the park. If you miss one, you may see it again during the night show. Enjoy!
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 08:45 AM

I have not seen the night show but hear it's very good and everyone seems to enjoy it.

Please reconsider 'swimming with the dolphins'.
Over half of the dolphins captured for 'swim with dolphin' parks that survive their violent capture will die within 90 days. The average lifespan of a dolphin in the wild is 45 years, yet half of all captured dolphins die within their first two years of captivity. The survivors last an average of only 5 years.
Every seven years, half of all dolphins in captivity, whether captured or born in the parks die from capture shock, pnemonia, intestinal disease, ulcers, chlorine poisoning and other stress related illnesses. Some even commit suicide. Yes, they can and do commit suicide. They hold their breath until they suffocate. Some even die from the food they are fed, which has to be heavily fortified with vitamins and antibiotics which can cause a fungus that litterally rots the dolphin alive. To the captive dolphin industry, these facts are accepted as routine operating expenses.
Dolphins are trained by food depravation. They learn those tricks, which they would never do in the wild, by being subjected to food starvation. The trainers call this food 'reward'. If they do the trick, they get a piece of fish, if they don't, no food. They are fed dead fish which they would never eat in the wild. Many dolphins have to be force fed through feeding tubes until they learn to accept dead fish, and then they only get fed if they do these stupid tricks for humans. It's VERY stressful for the dolphins. They do NOT want to be there and are NOT having fun with you.
If you watch the dolphins after the show you will see them swim in repetitive circles, or just float at the surface with eyes closed. These are signs of depression and boredom, due to the life they have been subjected to, which is nothing like their life in the wild.
Look 'behind the dolphin smile'.
www.dolphinproject.org
This is a site started by Richard O'Berry, the trainer of the original "Flipper". He quit the business over 30 years ago after his favorite 'Flipper', a female named Cathy died of stress in his arms.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 09:01 AM

Giggetto - yes, there is enough to do there all day. Be sure to do the underground river swim..the water is cold as hell when you first get in but fine after that and well worth the trip. Don't bother putting on snorkel gear as there isn't much too see, but do wear fins to make the 1,500 ft (metre?) swim a little easier. When you get out at the other end, you're sealed bag and towel will be there waiting for you.
The above ground swim is just okay - I found too much stuff floating in the water and it kinda freaked me a bit.
Walk around to the ruins that are scattered throughout the property, see the butterflies, watch the show where the four guys swing from a pole.
After lunch (in one of the many restaurants dotted around), relax in one of the many lovely grottos or along the beach somewhere.
There is snuba, scuba and snorkelling trips also available.....
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 02:55 AM

I would just go to XCaret for the night show - I think there is a separate price for after 5 or something. We were bored at XCaret, so did not stay for the night show. I hear wonderful things about the night show though - that I would want to see.