Search

xandari in costa rica

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2003, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xandari in costa rica

Has anyone stayed at this hotel in July? There is no air conditioning or screens, and I was told mosquitos were not a problem. Also, is it worth spending 3 nights there (two on arrival, one on departure), or we were originally planning on just spending the night after we arrive there and then again when we leave.
Old May 8th, 2003, 10:26 AM
Iza

Stayed there in August 2000 for two nights and are planning same for August of this year. It is a great place and well designed, truly without the need for AC. Because of its altitude the temps are usually in the low seventies and when we were there it was cool at night (long sleeve sweater was needed in the open dining room). The villas have louvered and screened transom windows on two sides which provide plenty of cross ventilation. In fact, I had to get up in the middle of the night to close those since we were too cold!
We have not encountered any mosquitos there. The only insects that we saw in our room were some ants.

It's a very relaxing place, so depending on other plans you have, 3 nights is worth it.
Old May 12th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

Someone who stayed at the Xandari just told me there was an unusually high amount of security at the hotel. Is this common for the hotels near the airport or is there some other explanation?

How does this hotel compare to Finca Rosa Blanca? Do the Marriott or the Melia near the airport seem like chain hotels or are they good options?
Old May 13th, 2003, 12:01 PM

Regarding security at Xandari, it's not all THAT close to the airport, but in any case, I'm sure the security is there because it's a nice place and they want to keep their guest and their property safe. I stay at Orquideas Inn (which is closer to the airport) and they also have security (a guarded gate and night watchman) for the same reason. It's nothing at all to worry about.
I don't know about the Finca Rose, but YES the Marriott and Melia will feel like a chain hotel...not Costa Rican. Stick with Xandari or check out the Orquideas Inn.
Old May 14th, 2003, 03:54 AM

Just was there May 1st 2003. The security guards do carry guns for security. My wife came back to the room (1.5 hour after they called to clean the room) to find two men in the room packing up all of our cloths, as well as all of the other items that were in the room. They ran off with one of our suit cases filled with half of our clothes. She was not harmed in any way. Fortunately our money and passports were in the in-room safe. They broke in through the louverd transom on the balcony. The hotel said this has never happened before, but then the guards all have guns??? The hotel is beautiful, the villas great, the grounds and spa very nice, and the view fantastic. Advice -- make sure those louvers are clicked locked when you leave the room, have the hotel show you. And USE the safe for anything of value!