Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Woman traveling alone to Los Cabos - - SAFE?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Los Cabos alone in the first week of October. Is it safe? Also, is Los Cabos better than Puerto Vallarta as far as the Beaches?
Old Sep 11th, 2004, 07:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This is second hand info from travel reading, I have not been there myself. My impression is that there are some nice beaches at resort hotels in and near Cabo San Lucas, but other places have rocky and rough coastline. I know that at least some stretches of beach in San Jose del Cabo are not swimmable.

I am a frequent visitor and huge fan of PV. I would not pick Cabo as a destination personally, because of negative things I've heard about the town itself, time share sales, people getting ripped off, etc. Again it is only my impression, but I think Cabo is a VERY different place from Puerto Vallarta.

As far as safety I think that will depend partly on where you are staying. If you are off in a nice resort I'm sure it's fine. If you hoped to go bar-hopping on your own at night, I might think twice.

I don't mean to be negative, as it sounds like you already purchased a ticket before you posted this?? Hopefully someone who loves Cabo will chime in.
Old Sep 11th, 2004, 08:42 PM

I have been to both - PV has better beaches (depending on your hotel) -- most of the Cabo beaches are not swimmable.
PV the town has a much nicer, safer feeling ambiance. I would rather not travel to Cabo alone, although I'm sure most of the better resort hotels in Cabo are very safe and nice.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 10:13 AM

I actually just came back from Cabo from my honeymoon 2 weeks ago. We loved it there and stayed at the Casa Del Mar.
However if you are looking to lay in the sand forget it. The surf is rough and the sand has alot of pebbles in it. I know from the mile I walk on it. The beaches that you can swim at are public. Don't go to the one near cabo harbor. too many locals and people selling stuff. The best beach and the one we took a snorkle cruise to was called Santa maria. It;s right up the corridor and wasn't crowded. You can rent snorkle equipment right there or so I heard. Bring crackers for the fish. it's amazing and The hotel pools are excellent and depending on where you stay right on the beach.
Have the hotel pick you up at the airport to avoid the time share people at the airport. Our hotel was there to pick us up. had our name on a card and we just walk right by the time share group.
As for cabo itself. i felt safe but I am not sure my wife would be comfortable walking around at night by herself. As long as you stay right around the harbor like we did you will be fine. Cabo Wabo, gigling marlin and Suid roe are a block away. we only went to cabo wabo.... enjoy