Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

withdrawals at ATM's in Puerto Vallarta????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question, since you're all so knowledgeable: when we were in France, all the ATM withdrawals were hooked up with savings accounts only, and if you had an account that was connected with both your savings and checking, you were out of luck. Thank goodness someone had posted about this on these Boards before we went, so that we knew ahead of time!

So my question is: do you have the option of withdrawals from either a checking or savings account at the ATM's in PV, or is it like France, where you don't?
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 12:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't know about France, but I travel frequently to Puerto Vallarta.

My ATM card works for my checking account only (the opposite of what you said). If you happen to have a Bank of America account you can use a Santander or Scotiabank ATM machine with no transaction fee.
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

Maybe I got it wrong about France; I was there two years ago, and might have switched it up in my mind. So Suze, does that mean if you have a checking account that's also connected to a savings account that you have no access at all at the ATM, or that you can only take out money from that checking account and not the savings? Or do I need to have an ATM card that's connected to a checking account only? Thanks so much for your input.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 06:31 AM

Yes to both... If you have a connected checking & savings account 1) you can use an ATM in Mexico 2) it gives you access only to the checking part. Or that's how it's always worked for me.

I'm no expert & I didn't want to say because you seemed so sure in your first post, but I think(?) you've got it backwards about France. That it's same as Mexico you get to your checking account, but not into your savings?
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

If you had checking and savings connected and at the atm, could only access the checking, then that's good enough for me! One less thing to worry about. Thanks so much!
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 09:02 AM

de nada