Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Will we look ridiculous with walking sticks?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are in the process of gathering our gear for costa rica (hiking boots, deet, etc.)My husband has been eyeballing these collapsable walking sticks. I said he doesn't need one for Arenal or Monteverde, and he says 'what makes you such an expert on what we need?'. After exchanging dirty looks, he agreed that I could put the question to the real experts, Fodorites, and he would go with their opinion. We are in our 40's and in pretty good shape (gym 3 to 5 times per week). Since it is not a piece of jewelry at stake, I agreed. So,lets hear it!
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 09:04 AM

Not unless you look ridiculous without them. (Sorry, couldn't resist.) Actually we saw people with walking sticks and while I was hiking in Rincon, I was looking for a suitable natural stick to use. The problem is that in the cloud forest most of the fallen wood rots too quickly. If you hike down to the falls in Fortuna, you'll be happy you had something to lean on.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 09:15 AM

When I visited La Paz Waterfall Gardens, they supplied walking sticks for people to use on their property.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Okay, so next question. Any recommendateions on what kind to buy. There are tons of them out there. and..thanks!
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 11:34 AM

We brought our Leki hiking sticks several times but didn't this year and a couple of times I wished I had had mine but did fine. We do a lot of hiking at home so my legs are used to it but I still like to have one sometimes particularly if it is wet and slippery. If and what are pretty much up to you. If you would feel more comfortable with one then use one. I didn't feel strange and heard a couple of people say they thought it was a good idea. Every place I have ever been where they have been offered for use by the lodge, people have taken them to use.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 12:36 PM

We didn't need walking sticks for the Monteverde Cloud Forest, the Children's rainforest night walk, or for the Arenal rainforest walk. While there were some slippery spots along the trails, it was no big deal. We are in our mid-50s with no major physical problems.

The worst for us was the ziplines--didn't realize that we would have to walk up some rather steep and long grades to get to some of the platforms. Glad I'd lost 45 pounds in the year before our trip.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 09:56 AM

The Leki telescopic trekking poles are great, but the airline might require you to take them in your checked luggage, which is a nuisance for people wanting to travel just with their carry-on bag.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 01:13 PM

I did check my backpack in the 2 years I brought the Leki. Don't really know if I had to but did just in case. One year I bought a hiking stick down there (a piece of coffee wood that was painted).
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. I think we'd rather be safe than sorry. Bringing the walking sticks. Besides, I can always use it to fend off the wild beasts : - )