Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Why don't nature travel co.s like Nat Hab and IE go to Osa Penninsula?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because it is too expensive?
Not convenient to get there?
Accommodations are more rustic than their clientele's preference?
Accommodations refuse group bookings?

These companies usually have good itineraries for wildlife, but I don't see Osa on them.

Why do you suspect that is?
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 06:43 PM

At least your first three I would think. Thank goodness as I dread the day Osa becomes over-touristed.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 06:43 PM

I don't know for sure but I assume it's the latter - they don't book out to tour companies. These are not the AI's of the NW with hundred's of rooms, a single group could book up a place like Bosque del Cabo or La Paloma or Lookout Inn. I know at Bosque for instance many people book a year in advance. There just isn't (thankfully) the infrastructure to accomodate a large group as well, I don't think of it as inconvenient to get there but would be for a large tour bus or the like.

Not really related but sort of in relation to and this may be true or this may be an embellishment, I don't know. But at Bosque 2 years ago Philip, the biologist, was telling me that Brad Pitt & Angelina wanted to get married there and rent out the whole place. They refused, as it would've meant a dozen reservations they would've had to cancel.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 07:07 PM

True tully. I'm glad that there are lodges out there that still represent the individual traveler and not discounted group bookings.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 08:10 PM

Pretty simple actually. These companies promote nationally. The smaller properties just don't have the room inventory to support the marketing. They spend all that money, they need to know that they will have the availability. So they book the large resorts.

When you go to your strip mall travel agency, you will note that all they offer are the large (and expensive) hotels. Same reason. They are buying the package from a large wholesaler.

But I agree with Tully. That leaves the smaller properties for the folks that can appreciate them. Sometimes, things just work out.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can offer any more advice.

Warm Regards,
Pat Hewitt
Travel Professional
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 09:25 AM

I don't know the answer, but just wanted to say that Natural Habitat and International Expeditions offer small, naturalist guided group expeditions. These aren't wholesale tour packagers and they often include small properties on their itineraries. For example, in Belize their tours stay at places like Blancaneaux, Chan Chich, Hidden Valley, etc. I haven't been to Costa Rica but I've read comparisons of BDC and Chan Chich and it seems they'd have similar clientele so I don't know why it is that these companies wouldn't offer Osa. Availability isn't the issue either as I'm sure they block space far in advance. I had to wait for a group cancellation before I could get a second cabana at Chan Chich.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the observations. Patty, you beat me to the next question. The two companies I mentioned do itineraries for 4, 6, 8 clients, maybe a dozen on some trips, and they charter planes to other destinations with smaller properties.

Sometimes they book the entire property for the duration of their stay and sometimes they just book the necessary beds.

I understand why a bus tour of 40 might not go there, but was curious why companies that do nothing but small group nature and wildlife travel don't go to what seems to be the area of most abundant wildlife in Costa Rica.

It could be the business end of the venture does not suit either party.

Pity for Brad and Angelina.
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 08:18 AM

In my experience, businesses turn to "partners" which is what a secondary tour company would be, when they need the additional sales force to move their product. Bosque del Cabo is not in that position, so there would be no advantage to them to booking with a third party with the inevitable discount.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 12:04 PM

I don't know if that can help but I know a tour company that specializes in birding trips and ecotours in Costa Rica. They operate their own tours and have been around for a while. My family and I booked with them last year and we really had a great trip that included the Corcovado National Park in Osa Peninsula. The organization of our trip was very good and our tour guide Marcos was really exceptional. They have regular departures year round on 8 days trips and more. There name is Amerika Adventure, they are based out of San Jose Costa Rica and Canada, it may be worth looking at their dates for you, they have departures each month... good luck!
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 12:15 PM

...ooops, the name is Amerika Venture, not "Adventure". Their website is http://www.amerikaventure.com and they have a toll free number. By the way, if you decide to go on your own and not through a tour operator, you may want to consider staying at the Marenco Beach Lodge, this is the place we stayed at on the tour and they may be able to assist with the arrangements directly, have a great trip!