Where to stay our last night?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've been able to plan what we hope will be a great trip to CR this June thanks to all the info on this site.

One last piece is missing. We will be driving back to San Jose Airport from Nicoya to spend our last night closer to the airport before a mid-day flight.

Any suggestions on what would be the perfect place to spend our last night in Costa Rica? We were thinking maybe on a coffee plantation or similar.

Thanks
Hakmat
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 11:45 AM

Well... Since you mention coffee plantation, I will recommend Vista del Valle. http://www.vistadelvalle.com/

We loved our stay there, so relaxing, after a very active trip.

Views were good, food was very tasty, nice ownners, pretty grounds and spectacular rooms. We stayed in a Exotic Woods suite, but I think any would be fine.

About 20-25 mins to SJO and it is on the west side of SJ, which would be good for you.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Iza

Vista del Valle is a great recommendation. I would also recommend Xandari (www.xandari.com), which has lovely rooms and grounds. The only problem with Xandari is that their food is only so so.
Old Mar 29th, 2005, 06:42 PM

For a little less $, there is a B & B at Atenas called El Cafetal. Very nice little place out in the country--not luxury like VDV and Xandari, just nice. Great hosts, great breakfasts! We also like Las Orquideas in Alajuela and its Marilyn Monroe bar.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 05:22 AM

We did 3 nights in Arenal and then 2 nights in Monteverde. We then spent the last night at Melia Cariari on March 24, 2005 before we flew out of SJO. This place is close to the airport but a self contained resort. Web site is www.solmelia.com. It also has a free shuttle to the airport (definitely get to the airport at least three hours before flight time).
We paid 200$ for a Royal Suite with "Servicio Royale" for four of us which included concierge lounge, etc. What a fabulous place to end the trip. My wife and I really enjoyed ending such an active trip on this luxurious note, even though the room cost twice as much as the other places we stayed. We were there less than 24 hours and my wife cannot wait to go back.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 08:53 AM

Hello, I like to stay in San Jose downtown, to see the flair of this city. You´ll have a lot of accommdations in all ranges and a taxi to the airport is only 12 bucks.
Saludos
costaklaus - www.costaricaweb.de
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 02:37 PM

I second the recommendation for El Cafetal. I posted my trip report elsewhere on this board - it has a lot more detail on our stay. El Cafetal is a great place
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 05:43 AM

Dear hakmat,
All of the post have excellent ideas... its hard to choose.

I would like to add one more idea:
Simply Green Bed and Breakfast in the Doka coffee fields.
www.siempreverdebandb.com

Nestled in the middle of Doka Coffee Plantation is a farm house B & B. Some tours often go there for breakfast because of the beauty of the place. Outside around the open porch dining area are large cages with beautiful parrots and tucans. Butterflies are everywhere around the tropical gardens surrounding the B&B.

I have eaten there many times and the food has been most enjoyable and not expensive.

The best news is that it is just a little ways to one of the most beautiful places for dinner. El Mirador. The restaurant is overlooking the entire Central Valley and on a real clear night you can see from Cartago to San Ramon at your table with the thousands of lights in the valley that light up the way.
I take all of my guests there. ($10-12)

Siempreverde is about 20 minutes downhill to the airport with special views of the valley on your way out.

I just love it! Can you tell?

HOP

Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 11:10 AM

Hello, HOP....we are leaving for CR tomorrow morning and will be staying at Xandari the first night so we can pick our friends up at the airport on Monday. Is Xandari close to El Mirador? We'll have a car...hard to find at night or should we just stay put? Thanks..Lori
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 01:04 PM

We stayed at Casa Girasol guesthouse we returned the car on passo colon had a walk in sabana park then went downtown to el pueblo to listen to live music and had some good food, the room at casagirasol was clean with a nice bathroom and very quiet, cheap $25 cook your own food if you want, in the morning we had a private lux van waiting to bring us to the airport. Avoid changing money at the airport on arrival the exchange is very bad, go to any bank.
eMail: [email protected]
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 04:24 PM

Another enthusiastic vote for Vista del Valle!
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 08:12 PM

If you can handle 1 to 1-1/2 hr from airport, then I reccomend Peace Lodge and the La Paz waterfall gardens. Incrediable rooms and near Doka Coffee Plantation & Poas Volvano
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 01:14 PM

Xandari is beautiful. We enjoyed the restaurant and the great view of San Jose at night.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 07:14 PM

We stayed at the SJ Marriott. It's less than a 10 minute drive to the airport. Excellent food, good facilities. Reasonably priced for what you get.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 08:51 PM

Just got back from CR. Vista del Valle is an excellent choice. Eat dinner there. It is great. Try for the Ilan Ilan cottage.