Where to stay in Playa del Carmen?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be in Playa del Carmen in early Feb. We are looking for a hotel that is quiet but near the beach. We don't mind walking a reasonable distance to the beach and restaurants. Does anyone know about the hotels north of Constituyentes? How far are they from the beach, restaurants and shops on 5th Ave? One in particular that I am thinking about is the Riviera del Sol which is 6 blocks up. Any advice or hotel suggestions?
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 04:29 PM

Google "hotel vista caribe"
fantanstic location between 5th and the ocean.
For the money we felt it was the best we could find. We would stay there again hands down.
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 02:53 AM

Playa Maya.

Quiet hotel on the beach, centrally-located and within walking distance of just about everything.
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 05:35 AM

I would recommend Treetops Hotel. Check out their website-it fits all your requirements.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 07:57 PM

We just booked the Hotel Lunata (recommended by Fodors) for next week which looks to be a block or so off the beach. Last year we stayed at the Gran Porto Real which was just south of Constituyentes and I thought the walk was OK but I wouldn't have wanted to stay much further north since we headed back into town every morning to catch transportation (ferry to Cozumel, colectivo to Tulum) and every evening for dinner.

I was looking at the Riveria Maya Caribe which got good marks on tripadvisor but thought it might just be a bit too far, it too is north of Constituyentes.

I've heard good things about Playa Maya but because we were booking so close we couldn't reserve on line and they wanted us to make a deposit but not via a credit card so I went with the Lunata.

Check out tripadvisor, all kinds of reviews out there.

And a really great website for PDC is www.playadelcarmeninfo.com, if you are looking to try some of the local restaurants there's a good post on the forum about taquerias for gringos
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:08 AM

Have a look at El Faro hotel (the lighthouse). It is on the beach, in a great location and is small and very nice. They have a website for you to check.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:18 AM

"I've heard good things about Playa Maya but because we were booking so close we couldn't reserve on line and they wanted us to make a deposit but not via a credit card..."

Sorry you got this impression somehow, but it is not accurate: Playa Maya only accepts deposits via credit card.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the Lunata (which by the way is in fact just one block off the beach, on 5th). We often recommend it to people!

Steve
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 03:28 PM

Ryberg, I must have misunderstood the email, will definitely keep Playa Maya in mind for next year
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 05:06 AM

Wonderful! And sorry for any miscommunication!

Steve