Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Mayan Riviera

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 09:07 AM
Jackie

Any opinions on the Iberostar Paraiso or the Xpu-Ha Palace? Traveling with 2 kids (16 & 12) Cannot decide where to stay. Looking for beautiful beach and blue waters. Originally picked Moon Palace, but not so sure now.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 09:25 AM
fluffnfold

My husband and I loved the Iberostar Paraiso. We were there shortly after it opened, and I'm sure it's even prettier now that the foliage has had a chance to grow in. The pool is fabulous--huge, fantasy, free-form. Your kids will love that. I thought the choice of a la carte restaurants was pretty good (Japanese, Brazilian, seafood), but be sure to reserve early. There was an ice cream bar and hot dog cart near the pool, too. Lots of activities, so your kids (and you) can participate in as many or as few as you like. There was a great cigar bar which my husband loved, as well as billiards and internet rooms and a good gift shop. The beach/ocean are pretty typical of the entire area you are asking about--white sands and blue water. The Iberostar group is one of the better all-inclusive chains that I've been to, although I hear the Palace Resorts are even better (haven't tried them yet). I must say that Xpu-Ha looks amazing--very unique setting, much more rustic than other resorts on the Mexican Riviera.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 09:27 AM
NOTXpuHA

The Xpu - Ha Palace is owned and operated by Palace Resorts. The problem a lot of environmentalists have is: originally Xpu - Ha was an eco park/wildlife sanctuary. When it was developed bulldozers flattened a lot of the wetlands and disturbed the natural ecosystem that was present before development. Palace Resorts seems to be very fond of dynamite. The Aventura Spa Palace , a very large resort, has a man made lagoon which was blasted out of rock. <BR>This place is ugly and is frequently crawling with environmentalists with picket signs - not my idea of a great vacation.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 09:40 AM
dawn

The xpuha sounds wonderful for kids we are going and I think our two teenage boys will have a lot to do. Has anybody been?

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 10:03 AM
Cindy

We are going to X-Pu in April upon the recommendation of friends who stayed there with their four children ages 5-12. They highly recommended this hotel and would go back in a minute. It seems like everyone has a different opinion of vacation.

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 11:55 AM
dawn

You are absolutely right What is a palace to one is a dump to another. Also with kids you need things to do. Not just sit around and drink all day. Although a couple of days of that would be nice

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 01:00 PM
carrie

We stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso Beach in May 2002 and had a wonderful time.<BR><BR>It was much nicer than I thought it would be as we had never gone all inclusive before.<BR><BR>Have no complaints. Would go again.<BR><BR>Are a lot of activities in the pool areas. <BR><BR>I am a picky eater and love to cook and was very happy with the food.<BR><BR>I too looked into the Xpu-Ha but honestly chose the IB Paraiso because they were a bit less expensive.<BR><BR>Don't think you could go wrong with either.<BR><BR>Good luck!