Riu Palace or Royal Hideaway

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 03:52 AM
Jim

Riu Palace or Royal Hideaway

This board has been very great in helping us narrow down our hotel choices from a dozen or so to these two. That said: we will be two fiftyish couples, experienced travelers, looking for, in order:

1. great beaches/water
2.(mostly) all adults
3. no spring breakers
4. chance to meet/observe interesting people
5. good food.

Not that it matters that much but the RH is about $1,000 more per couple for the week. Where should we go????

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 06:17 AM
eileen

Sorry, can't comment on Riu Palace except that I know they take children while RH is adults-only. Went to RH in April and I think it is just what you are looking for. The food was gourmet-quality, service wonderful, whole tone of the resort upscale and it is a beautiful resort. We paid $400 per day for two and it was one of the best values I have ever experienced on vacation. The dinners alone were easily worth $150 per day. One important thing to note: if you must have an ocean view, be sure to pay for the luxury oceanview category because there are not that many oceanview rooms, that is the one negative to the resort, in my opinion. The spa is great. I do not think you will be disappointed.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 07:13 AM
Christie

Either place has an absolutely wonderful beach, so you will not be disappointed in that regard. (I stayed at the resort that is in between them, the Riu Playacar.)

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 08:50 PM
LIZ

Hi Jim...

My husband and I have stayed at both the Royal Hideaway & Riu Palace...We're also in the throes of middle-age and have been around a bit!...

1. The beach and water are comparable as both of the resorts are in the Playacar Complex and are separated by only 2 resorts...

2. The RH allows kids over 13 and the RP all ages...During our stay at RP in May there were only a handful of very well-behaved children...Also, there are no activities for kids at RP...

3. The Playa Del Carmen area doesn't attract spring-breakers...

4. We met so many more interesting people from all over the world at RP...They have a nice lobby bar where we spent several evenings with many new friends...

5. The food at RH is the BEST!!!!...There are no buffets except for breakfast and the rest of the restaurants are really fine dining!!!

We had a wonderful time at the Royal Hideaway but we're returning to the Riu Palace in November...Generally, we found the RP to be a much more social place even tho' the food can't hold a candle to RH...Not to say the food isn't good, it's just not very special...Also the service at RP is great but at the RH it's extraordinary!...But you get what you pay for and I'm not sure the difference in price is worth it...

It you have any more specific questions, feel free to e-mail me...

Have a great time wherever you go... LIZ

Old Sep 18th, 2002, 07:53 AM
SPM

The RH is the best by far. Worth the extra $$. Seriously. Especially for seasoned travelers. Trust me, you've never been to a place like this before. 5 star all the way. You won't be sorry.