Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Where to go to avoid hurricanes and an rainy vacation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually I go to the Carribbean, but I am looking to go to Mexico to avoid the hurricane season this October. Which resort destinations would be out of the "hurricane" path?
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 03:02 PM

Unless you're willing to vacation in Baja California Norte; somewhere near the California border, I think you will be at least at minimal risk of a hurricane, anywhere in Mexico. Cabo San Lucas (two hour flight from San Diego) was hit by Hurricane Marty in 2003 and Hurricane Juliette in 2001. Anything southeast of Cabo (Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, etc.)would obviously be susceptible also. I love traveling to Mexico but confine my trips to between late November and May, to avoid hurricanes, tropical storms & depressions. Have you considered Aruba/Curacao/Bonaire? I understand those islands are south of the hurricane belt.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 09:14 PM

i was going to say Aruba too. Beautiful island and out of the hurricane belt. It is a fabulous place to visit - altho a little arid, the beaches are out of this world... We went in September and it was amazing
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 09:11 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The west coast of Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) rarely gets hurricanes; that big one recently was the first in 50 years, or some such. But October would be considered the tail end of the summer "rainy season". You can't be assured of all sun all the time until a bit later (December thru March to be safe).
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 05:28 PM

PV averages 5 days where it might rain in October. The hurricane 2 years ago was a fluke, plus I heard it was not a direct hit. I visited in mid-October three years ago and it rained briefly once around 5:30.