Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Where to go between Samara and San Jose?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Arenal for three nights, then Samara for 4 nights. We have three nights at the tail end of our trip. Does anyone have a recommendation for our last three nights b4 we leave out of SJ? We would like to see rainforest. We have a rental 4X4.
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 12:11 PM

Go to Manuel Antonio! As long as you are not there on a weekend you will have a great time! Go to the beaches inside the park - they are heaven!
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Do you think it would be easier to get to MA than to Mal Pais or Montezuma? We've been to MA b4. I'm kinda concerned about driving times.
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 01:45 PM

It would take a long time to get to Man Uel Antonio... If you have allready been there I would definately go to Mal Pais or Montezuma. The drive to Mal Pais would take a long time since you cant make it down the west side of the peninsula nomatter what the maps say. The road from Playa Naranjo to Paqurea is REALLY BAD but you can make it in a 4x4.

We liked Montezuma over Mal Pais as the town is more compact and easier topp walk around while Mal Pais is very spread out and you would need to drive or have some good flashlights to go out after dark
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help! How long is the drive between Samara and Mal Pais? My two teenage kids are definitely not into lots of road time. I was even thinking to stay in Samara for the rest of our time, but it might be just too long there. I know it is not very developed.
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 04:54 PM

Not sure how long the drive from Samara takes but we drove from Tamarindo to Montezuma in about 4 1/5 hours.
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 07:25 PM

Hi Anita, I think Montezuma would be a good choice for you as long as you can be sure you don't eat up too much time getting there and then getting back to SJO so that you don't have enough time there to enjoy yourselves! Three nights wouldn't be bad, but know that you'll need the night before departure near the airport. So if that leaves you with just 2 nights, then no, even Montezuma is too far. And I agree that staying 3 extra nights in Samara would be a stretch--for sure.

Samara to Montezuma, you would drive back to Nicoya, then down Highway 21. We've been on that road between Naranjo and Paquera--it isn't paved, as Sean mentioned, but it isn't more than 25km either. You should be able to be in Montezuma in 4-5 hours. But back to SJO from Montezuma will take you at least 5 hours, maybe more.

Another great place to spend a couple of nights (on the way toward San Jose more or less) would be the Rincon de la Vieja Parque Nacional. This is really a lovely area up north of Liberia. Again, though, you're looking at a 5 hour drive time to San Jose from there (or a little more).

What about Monteverde? It would be a nice option--and different.
Old Jun 18th, 2005, 08:45 PM
Original Poster

Hi Shillmac! I had considered Monteverde, but most ppl do Arenal and Monteverde together, right? I'm not sure i can rearrange the Samara portion of my trip for later. Would it be too weird and out of order to do Monteverde after Samara? Is it on the way back to SJO (sorta)? I could cut 1 night off of Samara (either end). This is getting confusing. I really didn't want to be doing so much moving around this trip.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 05:18 AM

Sure you can do Monteverde on the way back. I think the beach break would be nice between the two anyway. It is a long and difficult journey from Arenal to Monteverde (as per other posters!), and I think I remember that the driving route to Monteverde from Arenal is actually a little more difficult than if you come in from the Interamerican highway (as you would coming from Samara). So I think this plan would work great for you. It is definitely between Samara and SJO.

As to cutting a night at Samara, I'd do it in a heartbeat. We were there 2 nights, thought it just okay, could've stayed another, but 4 would've been too long for us. The only thing we would like to have done that we didn't do in 2 days was to drive on over to Nosara. We did enjoy Playa Carillo, but didn't really think Samara anything all that special. I'm not sure why--you know, different strokes, etc.

You'll get it all figured out. In fact, hate to throw another option at you, but you could return to the SJO area and use your time checking out Orosi Valley (beautiful) or La Paz or Poas. You could even drive to San Gerardo de Dota south of San Jose for a couple of days, whitewater the Pacuare (one day or overnight). Hotel La Finca Que Ama, south and west of the airport about an hour, would be a nice place to relax for a couple of nights. It is near Turu-ba-ri Park and your kids would enjoy the Superman cable! The options are many. So just choose something that appeals to you--how nice that you have that extra time! We usually have more plans than time rather than more time than plans!

When are you going?
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 05:28 AM

Anita, yes most people go directly between Arenal and Monteverde. We on the other hand did them in two different trips. So however it fits, you can do it.

Another few suggestions to spend more time in forested areas, yet still be near enough to SJO not to have to move again in order to catch your departing flight -

Look at the Poas Volcano Lodge, it has had some interesting and good reviews. Poas is quite different than Arenal. And you could go over to the La Paz Waterfall Gardens, plus a host of other day trips.

Or how about the Los Angeles Cloud Forest area, can't remember the name of the lodge ??? But I will try.

Or simply stay somewhere near to SJ and take advantage of some tours into some forested areas and/or add a Pacuare White Water Rafting.

Old Jun 19th, 2005, 05:31 AM

Well Jill, I guess we were typing and thinking much the same!! LOL
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 07:25 AM

LOL--guess so. We do love that entire area surrounding San Jose. Not sure whether we are going to get to raft the Pacuare next month or not--we have to choose between one day on the Pacuare or an overnight trip to Tortuguero--either would fit our schedule following 2 nights at La Quinta--suggestions anyone?

As for Anita, oh my, you can see there is SO much to do--which you already know if you've been to CR previously. How about you put the different options in a hat and do a draw--you know you'll love whatever!

Last year we left Playa Flamingo not knowing whether we wanted to go to Playa Hermosa (north of there) or to Playa Samara. We literally stopped at a little soda, ordered a blackberry (mora) milk drink, and played a game that ended with a finger pointing one way or the other--Samara it was. I'd still like to spend a little more time at Hermosa. The Hotel El Velero sounds like a great place to us. It will all work out! Look at all these great minds you have working for you! LOL
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

I am so glad I posted my dilemma! I will think about these options. I felt like I hit a road block, and couldn't come up with any logical ideas. You all have made things a little clearer. I definitely think I will drop one night off of Samara. One option I have already ruled out is Montezuma. 4-5 hours of driving to travel only 25 km seems like torture to me, (w/ our kids in the backseat!). How long is the drive beween Samara and Monteverde do you think? If it's less arduous from the beach area than from Arenal, then maybe that's a good option. We will be in CR during the 2nd half of July (next month!). Thanks for all your help!
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 01:20 PM

Oops, Anita, I meant that the stretch of "rough" between Naranjo & Paquera is 25km--that is only a small portion of the drive and probably would take 45m-an hour. TOTAL drive time is 4-5 hrs. Sorry! Montezuma still a good option if you steal a day from Samara. . . .have fun! We'll be in Costa Rica during that time as well, but our paths won't cross.
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi Shillmac!
I've been checking lodging at Monteverde. El Establo looks and sounds good. El Sapo had no room. When asking about drive times between Samara and Monteverde, I'm told about 4-4 1/2 hours. Would going thru Liberia be the best route? Do you think there could be trouble getting there if it's too wet? Thanks!
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 03:23 PM

I wish I could help you more, but I haven't been to Monteverde--going July 8th--first time!

But no, you wouldn't go through Liberia--there is a much quicker route! You go to Nicoya, then drive south on Highway 21, making a left turn onto Highway 18 and the Friendship Bridge. It isn't far before this junction, so watch carefully! Once you connect back with the Interamerican (after 20 something km), you actually turn right, following the Interamerican and watching for signs. You'll make a left turn off the Interamerican to get to Monteverde. There are a couple of roads you can choose from, so I'm hoping someone who knows that drive will chime in here and tell you which might be best. Recently there has been talk of paving one of them, I believe. Someone will know! Good luck!
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 07:48 AM

Hi. i second the earlier comment about hitting the area in the Orosi Valley near Poas volcano. Adding a cloud forest experience to your trip, if you've already seen a beach and Arenal, would be a great addition. Monteverde is quite a drive up the road. There are lots of awesome hotels in the central valley area that are accessible to the airport as well as poas volcano, barva volcano/ braulio carrillo (and rainforest aerial tram), LaPaz water fall gardens (check out their website!), etc. There are several hotels (Vista del Valle) that have their own trails through the cloud forest. I've heard lots of great things about bosque de paz cloud forest in that area, with some of the best bird-sighting in Costa Rica. Going to central valley with those types of excursions from there may be the least stressful, less driving before you head out. Alajuela is 10 minutes from airport and half hour from Poas Volcano. you can also do a Paquare River trip from there.