Where in Belize (or elsewhere)?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2005, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking to take our honeymoon in Belize. We like the idea of a tropical spot that is a bit off the beaten path. No interest in a Sandal’s resort or anything like that.

Ideally we’d like somewhere on a nice beach that isn’t too crowded. But we’d like the availability of plenty of stores, bars and restaurants. Don’t want something so secluded that we are stuck w/ only the hotel restaurant.

And since we’d like to stay in one spot the whole trip, we’d like something w/ plenty to do near by. Will probably spend the 1st few days catching up on sleep, but after that would like a few local activities. Maybe a day cruise on a sailboat, visit some Mayan ruins or see some local wildlife. Nothing too planned, but a few trips to see new and different things.

Also would like a nice hotel, with A/C…as we’ll be in Belize in July/Aug. A hotel with all the comforts my bride to be deserves, but no need for the most upscale of all hotels. A pool and TV would be nice too. More then likely looking to spend $150 USD a night or so.

So given all of that, were can the folks who have been to Belize before direct us? We have looked at Ambergris Caye, Caye Caulker, Placencia, and all places in between. Would love to hear some thoughts of people who have experience.

Or if people know of another location that might meet our needs, would love to hear from you as well.

Thanks!
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 02:25 PM

We just returned from 7 nights on Caye Caulker. It's a very laid-back place: mostly sand-floored restaurants and few TV's. We enjoyed taking snorkeling trips (3) and renting a sailboat one day. Virtually no night life, but we were there for the peace & quiet, and that's exactly what we found. All hotels are small & personal, certainly no "resorts".

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 05:52 AM

There are really no "Sandals" style places in Belize, so you don't have to worry about it.

Any of the three places you mention could work for you, depending on exactly what your expectations are.

Here are my comparison of the three areas, based on many visits to each of them.

AMBERGRIS CAYE (often referred to as San Pedro):

* The biggest island in Belize (originally a peninsula jutting down from the Yucatan) -- northern Belize

* Settled by Mestizos from Mexico

* Most popular destination in Belize (for many good reasons)

* 7,000 residents on the island

* Mostly sand streets, no building over 3 stories -- significant new development taking place in the zone from town to about 2 miles south of town

* By FAR Belize's widest selection of restaurants and hotels

* Among the best top-end hotels: Victoria House, Mata Chica and Portofino and condotels Villas at Banyan Bay, Banana Beach, The Palms, Xanadu

* Among the best mid-range lodging: Mayan Princess, Corona del Mar

* Among the best budget lodging: Ruby’s, Pedro’s Backpacker Inn

* Some shops, sizeable groceries, lots of bars and places to hear live music

* Very nice beaches though like all beaches inside the reef somewhat narrow and with some goop bottoms and a good deal of seagrass

* Beaches along most of the Caribbean side (20+ miles)

* Reef just a few hundred yards offshore

* Decision about locations -- more remote North Ambergris requires water taxi, south end or in/near town

* Lots of snorkel tours and day trips to the mainland to visit ruins

* Good diving locally and excellent diving on day trips to Turneffe or Lighthouse atolls

* Get there by flights from international (US$47) or municipal airstrip (US$26) or by water taxi (US$14)

* Safe and friendly (though usual cautions are in order)

* Transportation on the island -- bikes, rental golf carts, cabs, water taxis

* Hotels from US$15 to $500+ a night

* Small condos and vacation rental houses available US$100 to $500+ a night

* Golf available on nearby Caye Chapel (but expensive -- US$200 a day)

* Tennis available at sports club and at a couple of hotels

* Water -- safe to drink from municipal system or RO/wells

* Good fishing -- tarpon, bonefish and other

* Very little snorkeling from shore (best snorkeling requires a short boat ride to Hol Chan Marine Reserve (including Shark-Ray Alley)

* About the same amount of rain as Atlanta, Ga.

CAULKER:
* The main part of the island really is just one village of about 900 people, and on the average day maybe 400 or 500 tourists

* The vibes are laidback, easy-going, calm.

* This is Ambergris Caye's little sister -- smaller and a cheaper date.

* Moving more upmarket, but it is still mostly a budget and backpacker island. Only one or two hotels on the island has a pool, for example.

* Sand streets, few cars, you get around by shank's mare, bike or maybe a golf cart.

* A mix of people on the island, Mestizos, some Creoles, a few gringos.

* About 60 hotels, mostly very small.

* Beaches are not the island's strong point, though an effort was made to renourish the beach with sand three or four years ago. Some of this has washed away. A little swimming from piers, but the Split is the main area where folks swim.

* No municipal water or sewage system -- pipe water in many places smells strongly of sulphur.

* Best hotel on the island costs only about US$130 a night, Iguana Reef. The rebuilt Seaside Cabanas is another "upscale" choice for Caulker, and it has a pool.

* Other good low-moderate choices -- Tree Tops, Trends Beachfront, Shirley's, Anchorage, Jaguar Morning Star and others

* Good restaurants at the "top end" include Habaneros, Rasta Pasta, Don Corleone's ... and good food, too, at Cocoplum Gardens, Sand Box and others ... Glenda's for breakfast and Cindy's for coffee

* Four or five dive shops do dive trips -- snorkeling and diving here are a little cheaper than San Pedro and Placencia ... the reef is just a few hundred feet out

* For booze and what action there is, hit the Lazy Lizard and I&I

* Rastas occasionally bug you

* Getting there is easy -- it's a US$10 water taxi ride from Belize City or San Pedro. Maybe they'll get the airstrip reopened.

PLACENCIA:

* 16-mile long peninsula in southern Belize (Stann Creek District)

* Access from Belize City via road by rental car (3 1/2 hours, US$55+ a day), bus (6+ hours, US$8), air (40 minutes, US$70 from international, US$55 from municipal)

* Placencia village is 25 miles from the Southern Highway on an unpaved road

* Two villages on peninsula -- Placencia (Creole) and Seine Bight (Garifuna)

* Peninsula population about 3,000

* Wide choice of hotels from budget hotels in Placencia village to upscale resorts farther north

* Hotels from around US$15 to $400+

* Few condos but some vacation rental houses, US$100 to $300+ a night

* Among the best to-end lodging: Inn at Robert's Grove, Turtle Inn

* Among the best mid-range lodging: Kitty’s, Mariposa, Barnacle Bill’s, Nautical Inn

* Among the best budget lodging: Tradewinds, Ranguana, Seaspray, Manatee Inn

* Some restaurants in Placencia village and elsewhere, though most of the better restaurants are at hotels

* Transportation on peninsula -- taxis or your rental car (taxis are fairly expensive, especially if going way north)

* 15+ miles of very nice beaches along Caribbean side -- best beaches on mainland but not much different from those on Ambergris Caye

* Day trips to mainland to visit Cockscomb jaguar preserve and to Maya sites near Punta Gorda

* Day snorkel trips -- reef is 15 + miles out, though snorkeling is also available at islands and patch reefs closer in

* Little snorkeling from shore

* Few shops, only small groceries

* No golf; tennis for guests at Robert’s Grove

* Safe and friendly (though usual precautions are in order)

* Water from municipal system safe to drink

* Good fishing for permit, bonefish, tarpon and other

* Access to small islands offshore for day or overnight visits

* Good to excellent diving on day trips

* Limited nightlife

* Usually more rain than the Northern Cayes (especially during rainy season June - November)

* Sandflies can be irksome

--Lan Sluder <Fodor's Belize & Guatemala 2005, San Pedro Cool, Adapter Kit Belize, Belize First Guide to Mainland Belize, etc.>
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 06:56 AM
cmw

Lan, that is a fantastic review, thank-you so much. It is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. I too am trying to decide between the three areas and this pretty much answers all of my questions !!
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Lan.

Can you (or anyone else) recommend one place over another given we are looking for a good mix of beach, activities and sights?

Having a hard time making a decision w/ all these great choices.
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 08:48 AM

Our favorite is Ambergris Caye. We spent time there and in Placencia about a year ago. We enjoyed Placencia, but, I think if I went again, I would want a car. The nicer places are outside of the village.

Ambergris Caye has quite a good variety of restaurants and entertainment. I think it's probably a bit easier to do mainland excursions from Placencia, although it is possible from San Pedro.

If you decide on Ambergris Caye, the next decision you need to make is whether to stay north or south of the 'cut'. If you stay north, you will need to take water taxis or rent a golf cart to get into town.

If I was coming for my honeymoon, I'd look into Victoria House. It's really beautiful, at least from the outside and the pictures I've seen.

Do realize that Belize doesn't have the incredible beaches that you'll find along the Caribbean coast in Mexico. The reef being so close makes for great snorkeling and diving, but it also makes for lots of sea grass along the shore.

Jean
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 05:09 PM

Hi Johnstone...

Belize is a great place...Good Choice!

I used to live on Grand Cayman...and as everyone knows, Cayman is super expensive.

I moved to Belize after Cayman, and have now made Caye Caulker my home.

While there are many differences between the two countries, what impresses me the most with Belize is the variety of things to do.

One day you can snorkel the reef, and the next day you can be Cave Tubing in the Rainforest.

I love Caye Caulker because of it's laid back life style. Everyone is friendly. Prices are really good. And the basic services you need are here...Bank, Post Office, Grocery Store etc

If you want a Honeymoon you will never forget, I have to say Caye Caulker if perfect. In fact, we came here on our Honeymoon, and never left!!!

Hope that helps!

You can check out a new general info site on Caye Caulker at www.belizecayecaulker.net

Wendy Casson
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 08:16 PM

Hi,
My wife and I were just married on Ambergris Caye. While I don't know how I could add much to Lan's informative reply, I can give you some of my impressions. As you have already read, the resorts north of the "cut", the hand-pulled ferry, require that you take a water taxi into town. Not the end of the world, but when I stayed at Journey's End last year, there were times I wished I was closer to town. On the plus side however, many of the nicer resorts on that part of the island are nearby, so you don't have eat at your resort, or feel "trapped", but you definitely don't get the nightlife you get in town.

This year we stayed and were married at Banana Beach Resort, south of San Pedro. On balance, I think this place has to be one of the best deals on the island. It is certainly not at the luxury level of a Captain Morgan's Retreat or a Ramon's Village, but for the money, and the location, it is hard to beat. The beach is not huge, by any stretch of the imagination, but there are plenty of chairs to lounge on, if that's what you want. Town is only a 5-10 minute cab ride, and if you like to walk, it's within walking distance. In fact, one of my favorite things to do is walk the beach on the island.
The staff at Banana Beach is energetic and helpful.
I would definitely at least look into.

Though Banana Beach does have a pretty good restaurant, you will also be near the restaurants for Banyan Bay and Victoria House (both fabulous places to stay as well, if you want to splurge).
Good luck
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 01:52 PM

I don't know if you are stuck on Belize - if not, you may also want to consider Costa Rica, especially Quepos / Manual Antonio National Park. There is a lot to do in the area. The beaches are much better than Ambergis, but there isn't much snorkeling to speak of.