Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

What is the best hotel to stay at for snorkeling in Cozumel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 12:01 PM
Lisa

Hi,<BR><BR>I'm looking to schedule a vacation in Cozumel. My main interest is in snorkeling. I'd like to stay at a hotel that has a good snorkeling site off of the beach. I was leaning towards wanting an all-inclusive but I'm not certain about that. I've heard the Presedente is good but it seems a little expensive. What else is good?

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Annie

Lisa,<BR><BR>I live in Cozumel, so I might be able to give you some insight on the snorkeling here. There is OK snorkeling from the shores of several hotels, but to experience the best, you need to get away from the hotels. Great FREE snorkeling is at Dzul Ha, it's kind of a beach club and a fun place to spend the day. Chankanaab Park is excellent but a little pricey and touristy. You should book a snorkel tour by boat, you will really get to see the best reefs that way. My recommendation for a hotel with good snorkeling would be Playa Azul, one of my all time favorite hotels with nice snorkeling all along the shoreline, which is sandy in some places so it's easy to get in the water, but changes to a rocky, coral encrusted coast which is where you want to snorkel. It's not an all-inclusive (which I would stay away from, there are too many great places to eat in Cozumel). Have fun!

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 02:32 AM
Jeanie

The answer is the only Hotel in Cozumel that I have ever stayed at & always will. Plaza Las Glorias is awesome place to snorkle. $5.US to rent snorkle gear, large deck with plenty of ladders with access to the Caribean Sea. Presidente is too remote for me.

Old Mar 30th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Judy

I also really likes Plaza Las Glorias. It was great seeing the "Love Boat" literally coming in while I was still in bed. Very comfortable and walking to town makes spontanaity possible. <BR>Note to Annie: Can you please list some of th e great restaurants?

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 07:17 PM
TC

The Coral Princess Hotel and Resort has spectacular snorkeling right out front. We've been going there for 10 years plus and have snorkeled many other places on the island. This is the best. Agree completely with Dzul Ha as a recommendation, too.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:37 PM
Annie

Judy, I'll be glad to name a few restaurants for you. I generally don't go to or recommend the tourist places--not that they don't have good food (expensive food)--most of them do, but anybody can get info on them in any travel guide. Here's a few that aren't in the books:<BR><BR>La Scudaria - this is a new Italian place on the corner of Juarez and 50 Av. THE BEST pizza I ever had, they don't use tomato sauce, they saute fresh tomatoes in garlic, olive oil and herbs, then top it off with any kind of topping you can thing of. Also great pasta dishes and huge portions--at about half the price of Prima.<BR><BR>Asian Garden - yes, Chinese food. People in the U.S., Canada and Europe can get Chinese whenever they want and now we can too! Some of the best Chinese food I have had anywhere, the owners are lovely people too.<BR><BR>The Depot - Texas BBQ, a little hole in the wall on Salas just past 10th. Run by a couple of guys from Texas and Oklahoma, ribs, brisket, the whole shabang. Love it.<BR><BR>La Cocay - It's probably in most of the travel guides by now. Without a doubt, THE BEST RESTAURANT IN COZUMEL, hands down!<BR><BR>if you want more, a friend and I put out a weekly e-newsletter about Cozumel called PARADISE NEWS. Just send a request to this address and you will be put on the mailing list:<BR>[email protected].<BR><BR>Hope to see you in Coz someday!<BR><BR>Annie<BR><BR><BR>