What is snorkeling REALLY like in CR?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any places good for snorkeling in CR? We would be going in March. Husband really wants good swimming beach and snorkeling (like Cozumel), I loved CR and would love to go back. Would hit Arenal, then a beach side.

A lot of websites say there is decent snorkeling, but would hubby be happy with it? Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:02 PM

From 2 visits , obe to east coast and one to west coast I would have to say I found only fair snorkeling on the east coast about 40 miles south of the peninsula where the Four Seasons is located. On west Coast it is fairly rough where we went so only able to dive and that was fair++. Honduras (Bay Islands-Roatan) and Belize atols (based on conditions after Dean are where the best snorleling in the Americas still exists. Yes, better than Cozemal, Bonaire, GC, Curacao, St. John, T&C.
But awiimming is much more pleasant in the Caribbean. Thoughthe interior of mpst Caribbean Islands are not big on scenery except for St. Lucia, Barbados, St. John and a few others but some after Dean may take 6-12 months to begin to really recover, so sad.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:45 PM

We did it in Manuel Antonio, and it was pretty bad. We took a sailboat out, and it was pretty rough - people were getting really queasy on the boat. Then we got in the water, and the visibility was just terrible - could not see very far due to so much sediment being in the water. We went in July, which is the rainy season, so not sure if it would be improved in the dry season. I wouldn't recommend it. Maybe better luck on the Caribbean side.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 05:09 PM

Love CR but have never seen it as a snorkeling place, most of the water is just not placid enough.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:07 PM

Yeah, CR is not really known for it's snorkeling. We did a little when we were in Osa and not really a lot of fish where we went. Although on the Carribean side down south it's supposed to be much better, so much of it depends on the rain which will change the clarity dramatically. We will give it a try next visit if the water's good. Another option we're thinking about is a 2 day trip to Bocas del Toro for some good snorkeling, but that's all still up in the air right now.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

hipchick - My husband pointed out looking at Banana Azul's website that there was no pool. Were you and your daughter able to swim right off the beach there? Or was it rough?
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:12 AM

I have been snorkeling twice up around Flamingo beach. Just this July for one. There were 3 of us and we spent $85pp. We went to one of the little islands nearby. Beautiful clear blue water, small sandy private beach, it was very pretty. Not a one of us saw so much as a little minnow. The first time there was a group of us from the language school and I think a couple of people saw a small turtle and a fish.

My best snorkeling was down around Cano Island although it wasn't like you would see in the caribbean. It is the Pacific Ocean and so it is different. We did see a puffer fish, some reef sharks, a moray, and several fish there.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:14 AM

Suzie, where is Cano Island? What's the best way to get there? Sounds interesting..
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. That is what I love about this forum - great info! Many of the tourist websites talk about snorkeling, so it is hard to know. Still haven't ruled out CR, but good to know what to expect.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:35 AM

We tried to snorkel in early August and it was impossible. For those of you that have visited the mid-Atlantic region, I would describe our experience as trying to snorkel on the Jersey shore. There was no visibility, but we had had a fair bit of the rain during our stay. We tried the beaches in Drake's Bay, Manuel Antonio and Nosara. Nosara had a lot of rain and the water was practically black with sand and sediment.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:23 AM

Cano Island is about 12 miles off the coast from Drake Bay. There is quite a history as a penal colony but don't bother hiking on the island. Not much to see. There used to be a few spheres but I read someplace that they have removed them.

Most people go there for the diving and snorkeling.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:48 AM

janenicole -- You're right. There is no pool there. Colin, one of the owner's, said he'd like to put in a pool at some point in the future (joked about starting a pool kitty at the front counter)!

We swam right on the beach in front. I would call it more playing than swimming, but the water didn't have undertows or riptides or anything. However, at certain times it's rougher than others. I'm not sure if this is a seasonal thing, or rainfall thing...you could e-mail them and ask. So basically, there was a strong swell about 40' from shore and the adults swam just past the swell (you could still touch the bottom) and we just bobbed around. My daughter is not a strong swimmer and she mostly stayed closed to the shore (before the swell) and played with the blow up floatie that we brought with us. They have boogie boards there now too and bicycles for rent. I guess what I'm getting at, is that it's not a super calm, smooth swimming beach, but certainly good enough for playing in and cooling off and plenty of sandy beach area to relax or picnic. We walked the beach from there to Puerto Viejo every day (about 20-30 walk).

Hope this helps!
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:51 AM

Another thing is I think you could bicycle easily to other beaches for swimming and snorkeling. We didn't do this last year, but would like to try next time. Snorkeling wouldn't cost an arm and a leg here because I don't think you have to hire a boat or anything unless you want to. I'm looking more into this as well, and will probably request more info from Banana Azul.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 09:07 AM

Thanks, suzie!

jn, I think part of the problem is we've snorkeled in places like St. John and Hawaii - great snorkeling, so doing it in CR can't really compare to that. I wasn't disappointed because I had read on this board that the snorkeling isn't great. Hope you still get to go back; I think CR has so much to offer that we're willing to sacrifice the snorkeling aspect.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:49 AM

you know hvc I think between your pics & report you may have sold me on Banana Azul.....still really early planning but I'm strongly considering it, really want to see the Sloth rescue place too.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 12:22 PM

tully -- I'm glad you're considering BA (or even Puerto Viejo if you decide to stay at a different lodge). You'll be going around the same time of year we were there, and it was beautiful then (Although as you know, it rains more on that side!) I would have liked to take more pictures in town or on the beach, but I didn't carry my camera much for fear it would be stolen. As you probably know, PV is known for a higher crime rate than some other areas in CR, but we never felt threatened or less safe than any other places we went. We always took a taxi home if it was past dark, rather than walk. I know you'd love the Sloth Rescue Center, and probably enjoy some time with Abel in the Gandoca-Manzanillo area as well. The food is different there too..I thought it was very yummy! The Bri-Bri reservation is also near there so I'm looking into visiting next time.

Good luck planning your new adventures!
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:46 PM

janenicole - during our stay at Banana Azul, the water ranged from very calm to pretty big waves that were GREAT for body surfing. The day I wanted to boogie board, there were really no waves that went up past my waist but the day I body surfed, they were over my head. The water was VERY calm at Manzanillo, which is where we snorkeled (right off the beach). The water at Cahuita was also very very calm while we were there. I did not feel a riptide once but of course, that can always change.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:27 PM

dp, how was the snorkeling in Manzanillo? Did you see some good stuff?
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:08 PM

My Manzanillo snorkeling was better than Cano Island. Much more corals and decent fish variety. Not as spectacular as Yucatan.
I swam from shore out from the beach in front of Aquamor, an outfitter with snorkel, diving equipment, as well as kayaks for rent.
The reef was a ways out but the water had calmed down from previous days and had cleared up well.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:35 PM

I should add Manzanillo is on the east coast at the end of the road south of Puerto Viejo.
Punta Uva is another great beach fine for swimming between the two towns and I recommend Casa Viva beach side there in their 2 bedroom cabins amongst tropical gardens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -