Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

What are the "must do" activities in Puerto Vallarta?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 03:19 AM
Mary

Hi-- <BR>We are making our 1st trip to Puerto Vallarta this fall. We would appreciate any advice on what activities we should definitely do. What excursions do you highly recommend? Thanks for your help. Mary

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 06:04 AM
JRinPV

Whale Watching with Open Air Expeditions and "The Rhythms of the Night" with Vallarta Adventures

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 04:06 PM
Joan

Mary: <BR> <BR>Believe my first choice would be the tour of the 4 luxurious homes. We were able to catch the last tour in the spring which was about April 22. I don't know what time they start in the fall. <BR> <BR>The town tour was good; believe this one was also the one that went out by the LaJolla hotel and we had lunch at a spot up the mountain. <BR> <BR>Tour of the Liz Taylor-Richard Burton homes was interesting ... if you're old enough to remember them. <BR> <BR>One day we took a cab out to LaJolla and walked over to the Night of the Iguana restaurant for lunch ... place where that movie was made. Pretty there and very few people at lunch time; food was good. Waiters had time to take pictures of us. <BR> <BR>Not too impressed with the marina area but we were there on a Sunday and most places were closed. (Maybe it's a Friday night hotspot.) <BR> <BR>Shopping downtown was always interesting especially on Sundays when the Mexican families were there. <BR> <BR>There might have been a tequila tour available but not sure about that. <BR> <BR> <BR>Enjoy ! <BR> <BR>Joan

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 09:23 PM
Typical Tourist

1-Get Drunk <BR>2-Drink some more <BR>3-Fall down, injure oneself, vomit copiously <BR>4-Wake up with legendary hangover, do it all over again. <BR>5-Repeat as required until vacation ends

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 04:27 PM
loangalsal

I don't know if whale watching is good in the fall, I think better in Jan/Feb/March. Check out the Bloodhound sailboat for whale watching, we loved it. The home tour is also a good suggestion (my favorite thing to do in PV!)organized by the International Friendship Club, and you can get a schedule at the Hotel Molina de Agua. There are good horseback riding tours in the jungle if you like horses. Excellent restaurants in PV, our favorites are Daquiri Dicks, Casuelas (sp?), PePes, and for breakfast there is a wonderful place simply called the Pancake House that offers very inexpensive Mexican and American choices. You can also do a "swim with Dolphins" in PV if you like, but it is expensive. Have fun!

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 11:45 AM
Dan

For your information, the correct spelling for a restaurant in the previous message is PiPi's not PePe's. It is great anytime. The Sunday brunch is very inexpensive and delicious! Also, I highly recommend Toucan's for breakfast as opposed to the Pancake House. It is located one block west of the Pancake house, towards the beach. Caruso's is very good for Italian food. It is located right on the river at the bridge going into town from the south. For seafood, try Quato's and don't miss Las Asaderos des Jardines. It is an experience as well as great food. As for activities, just enjoy the people, the beach, the pool, and the ambiance.

Old Sep 15th, 2001, 03:31 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Walking, lotsa walking. Walk around what is called Old Town south of the Bridge, don't hesitate about going on some side streets, walk down to Los Muertos Beach and along the water front. Walk along Juarez. On Isle Iguana. Walk, walk, walk! <BR>PV is perfect for just walking and wandering and browsing and finding great places to eat. Enjoy drinks and sunsets at Dacquiri Dicks or La Palapa. <BR>Go to the Marina too - walk along the boardwalk there, more great little restaurants, a little quieter here and not so much hustle/bustle. Have a drink at the top of the lighthouse (crowded tho). Take a boat (rent a private one, don't do the big tours) and go down to Las Animas or Quimixto (sp?) for lunch. Most importantly, have a great time, but save some Margaritas for my next April trip there!

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 06:56 AM
michelle

Go on the Marigalante! IT's a beautiful gallion-type ship that they use for booze cruises. Even if you're not into the unlimited drinks, it's worth it just to ride on this beautiful ship and pretend you're Christopher Columbus. They also make stops for snorkeling and a beach. It's beautiful, fun, very worth it. Was one of the highlights of my trip. <BR> <BR>Also, if you'll rent cars, go to El Eden. It's a restaurant sort of up in the mountains with these beautiful waterfalls. Driving up there can get hariy (one way roads) but it's so beautiful and feels like a movie. <BR> <BR>You'll have a wonderful time!

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 06:01 PM
mike

an all day trip to las caletas via vallarta adventure. discounts if booked on line. private beach great food and the bar opens at 11:00.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 08:25 PM
JRinPV

Bet Christopher Columbus wished he'd had twin diesels!

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 05:13 PM
susie margaret

hi, mary -- <BR> <BR>go to a great website that i found last <BR>year -- www.virtualtourist.com. it has <BR>lots of comments from people who have <BR>been to PV recently, and they say what <BR>to see and what to avoid (there is <BR>even a great category called "tourist <BR>traps"!). <BR> ***** <BR>i have been on the bus tour of the <BR>city and was bored stiff; it also took <BR>abour four hours, so all my bones and <BR>muscles were stiff, too. the emphasis <BR>is heavily on stopping at places <BR>(shops, etc.) where you are clearly <BR>supposed to buy things. some of the <BR>shops are nice, but i'd go to them by <BR>myself, not on a tour. <BR> ***** <BR>i hope that you have a great time. <BR>i love PV and visit it year after year. <BR>i have been by myself, with two women <BR>friends, with my stepmother, and with <BR>a husband. every single time, i had a <BR>blast! <BR> <BR> <BR>