Reload this Page >

Mayan Riviera - Resort recs please?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 01:38 PM
jmm

We are considering a trip to the Mayan Riviera this winter and would like some resort recommendations. <BR>What is important to us: <BR>GOOD,safe swimming beach <BR>Snorkeling off shore would really be an added plus or nearness to good snorkeling sites <BR>Some shade would be nice - enough palapas,beach umbrellas available <BR>Resort - clean, hotel rooms NOT a long distance from beach - we would probably prefer a smaller as opposed to a larger resort <BR>Food - edible is fine - we are not gourmets - good variety and some local choices would be nice <BR>Rooms - prefer 2 beds <BR>Night Life - dont care <BR>Booze - quality and quantity - we dont care <BR>All inclusive - nice but not critical <BR>Pool - clean, preferably separate kiddies pool <BR>As you can see we are not hard to please - as long as we get good ocean swimming and snorkeling and have a clean comfortable hotel room not far from the beach at a reasonable price we are more than satisfied. <BR>Can anyone stear us in the right direction (or lets us know of any places we should NOT consider) we would be very appreciative. <BR>Thanks in advance for your help. <BR>

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 06:21 PM
d motl

You should strongly consider Isla Mujeres. A small Carribean island about 10 miles from Cancun. We spend a month a year there and have a 20 page home grown brouchure which we will e-mail to you if you request. Dan and Ginny

Old Aug 18th, 2001, 07:06 PM
Monica

You might want to try the ElFaro in Playa del Carmen. Right on the beach, small, like 28 rooms and it has a swimming pool and a very good restaurant that serves breakfast and lunch. In fact, breakfast comes with the room. If you need some information on good restaurants in Playa, let me know, I can give you a few suggestions.

Old Aug 20th, 2001, 09:25 AM
Ally

One of the smallest All Inclusives is <BR>Reef Club Playacar. It's the closest resort to Playa Del Carmen in Playacar. Beach is Excellent for swimming, although as at all the resorts, you'd still have to get out early and reserve your shade palapa. <BR>They have 2 pools. One for activites and an 'adult' pool with the swim up bar, however, there is one pretty good size section of the pool that is only 1 1/2 ft deep for the 'little ones'. and is separated from the deeper part with a hot tub. There are lounge chairs all around it, very close. <BR>Food was surprisingly good with nice variety. Since it's the last resort (the one CLOSEST to Playa Del Carmen) the beach is not nearly as crowded as in front of other resorts, and if you walk 5 minutes toward town, you'll find a nice little beach all to yourself. If you want AI, this is it. If not I totally second El Faro in town.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 03:42 PM
carol

I also love Isla Mujeres. I've stayed at Cabanas Maria del Mar and the Media Luna. Both are nice and under $90/ni. Visit www.isla-mujeres.net for more info. The island is more a do-it-yourself place that an all purpose resort. If you want more of a resort, check out Akumal- it has several places, including all-inclusive, hotel and condos. The snorkeling is good there and it's an easy drive to Tulum.

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 07:06 PM
Mark

Was looking for basically the same criteria as you, and just booked at the Bahia Principe Tulum. Mainly because of the location (just south of Akumal) which is convenient to Tulum and tourist sites, and short drive to Playa Del Carmen. Beach is supposed to be very nice, with excellent snorkeling right offshore and better yet further out at the reef. Only problem is that it is a somewhat larger resort. Haven't seen too much feedback on the resort but what I've seen has been mainly positive.