Search

Female traveling solo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 01:41 PM
Jackie

Female traveling solo

is it safe to go alone? will it be too boring alone? i'm basically going to relax and hit the beach. i've never traveled alone and am considering going alone, but kind of concerned.

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 01:43 PM
Jackie

i forgot to mention it's cancun

Old Oct 24th, 2001, 03:21 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Jackie, what time of year are you going? I think I'd suggest avoiding spring break. Other than that, I don't think you'll have any reason to worry - just use common sense. You'll love the beautiful water and beaches. You can take a tour to go out to the Mayan ruins, don't think I'd recommend driving out by yourself.

Old Oct 25th, 2001, 07:53 PM
Sandia

Go for it! I have traveled alone quite a bit. (Actually I moved out of the country twice without knowing anyone where I was going.) One needs to dress appropriately & respect the culture. For example, in Mexico I would not go out alone at night as a single female. You'll meet people too - it's not as lonely or boring a you think. (Boring is staying home when you could be on the road.)

Old Oct 26th, 2001, 04:47 PM
susie margaret

hi, jackie -- <BR> <BR>i have never been to cancun, but from <BR>my experiences in puerto vallarta and <BR>mazatlan, i would say that it is safe <BR>to go out at night by yourself as long <BR>as you don't stay out past about 10 pm <BR>and as long as you don't go into <BR>isolated places. i've never felt <BR>unsafe during the day (i suggest that <BR>you avoid places where there aren't <BR>many people, though). <BR> ***** <BR>any time or place where there are lots <BR>of families (mexican or otherwise), i <BR>would be very surprised if you were not <BR>safe. children and parents have been <BR>very helpful to me, and the kids <BR>especially like to practice their <BR>english. <BR> ***** <BR>one comment -- i have not done much <BR>bar-hopping, so i can't speak to what <BR>you are likely to encounter there. i <BR>have always felt fine in restaurants, <BR>tho, even the fancy ones. the waiters <BR>are usually very solicitous if you are <BR>alone and are happy to help you with <BR>the menu items. i have never felt <BR>ripped off. <BR> ***** <BR>one nice thing about going alone -- <BR>you can stay as long as you like if <BR>you find a nice place to sit and <BR>ponder. you can shop till you're <BR>tired, then go back to wherever you <BR>are staying and take a nap. <BR>especially if you live alone and are <BR>used to doing things by yourself, you <BR>should be fine. <BR> ***** <BR>there is one thing that i have had to <BR>incorporate into my solo travels in <BR>mexico, and that is that if you don't <BR>speak spanish or, like me, don't speak <BR>it very well, you will feel the strain <BR>(both of being alone and of hearing a <BR>different language around you all the <BR>time) after the first few days. this <BR>is especially true if you do not live <BR>alone or have never traveled alone <BR>before. the remedy for that is to take <BR>it easy for a day or two (i don't even <BR>leave the beach when i get to feeling <BR>like that!). <BR> ***** <BR>do the same things you do wherever you <BR>live in terms of being cautious, and <BR>you will have a wonderful time. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 03:22 PM
d motl

Try Isla Mujeres. A small island 10 miles off Cancun. Safe at all hours, laid back , inexpensive, and Norde beach is just great. We spend one month a year there and will gladly send you our home grown brouchure on the island. Just e-mail us. Ginny and Dan <BR>PS: also visit isla-mujeres.net

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 06:14 PM
Monica

Jackie: I agree with all of Susie Margaret's comments listed above. Exercise caution during late nite hours, avoid deserted streets, etc...I have felt totally comfortable traveling solo in Mexico many times..usually it's to get away, laze on beach, shop, etc..I've become comfortable dining alone, especially at the beachside casual restaurants.If it's been a long day, simply wait for a carry out to take back to your room and have one last drink at the bar!