Whale watching in Costa Rica ?

Feb 13th, 2003, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Whale watching in Costa Rica ?

I'll be visiting northwest Costa Rica the first week of March and wonder if this is a good time of year for whale watching and if so is there excursions available? Thanks for any info !!
Feb 13th, 2003, 05:38 AM

I don't know anything about the best time of year for whale watching, but I came upon the following web site some time back that looks great...

www.spanishdancercharters.com
Feb 13th, 2003, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Wow........a quick response.Thank you Ally,that may give me all the info I'll need.
Feb 14th, 2003, 11:28 AM

Not familiar with orcas and when (or if?) they travel down to CR ~~ check out info on http://www.fundelfin-costa-rica.org/
Feb 15th, 2003, 02:28 AM

There have only been a few humpback whale sightings over the last few months in the Gulf of Papagayo area. All the various dive shops and tour operator's keep in touch through VHF radio's so when there is a sighting we have an opportunity to see them. In past years we have seen many more and have been able to quietly sail beside them but so far this year numbers are down which maybe results from El Nino conditions.
Michael
www.spanishdancercharters.com
Mar 1st, 2003, 08:59 AM

OK, they are here!!!!!!!! The last 3 tours we have seen humpbacks. A bull, cow and calf. They are appearing out a little further than normal but we have been able to sail close then drop the sails and watch. You always are cautious when there is a calf as the parents can be rather protective. They stay visable until a motorized boat comes along then they dive so we don't report the sightings until we are finished.
Michael
[email protected]