### WATER TEMP for MID AUG ###

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2006, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are conflicting thoughts about using a wetsuit or not aboard a tour boat for our mid August trip to Galapagos. Can anyone inform the water temperature at this time? Some say we should and some say not.

We are four in family and suits are great but bulky to bring. Boat limited our take on to small duffle bag and I do not know how to fit all!

Also, anyone have good site to give Galapaos average air temperature during mid August?

THANK YOU!
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 09:35 AM

In May I was very comfortable in a shorty. Others went without but did say it was very cold. August will be colder than May so for me it would be a definite yes.

Here's a temp chart http://www.galapagosadventures.com/page22.html
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 03:43 AM

Traveled in the Galapagos last August and I thought the water was pretty cold (but that might just be me -- although the crew often prepared hot chocolate for us after our snorkeling outings). We had wetsuits (provided by our boat) and snorkled for 30+ minutes each time. Others on another boat without suits were only in the water for 10 minutes or so. We always snorkled as a group with our guide. I LOVED the snorkeling expeditions -- the sea lions are fantastic.

Air temp in August was quite nice. I had a fleece, two pair of lightweight pants, shorts and a couple of t-shirts. I only used my rain shell once (misting). Weather varied between sun and cloud cover -- bring a good hat and sunscreen.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 05:47 AM
z

The best thing we did for our August trip in Galapagos was to bring our wet suits. Water temperatures was much lower than air temperatures. Fleece jackets and long pants were nice to have to for cool evenings on the boat
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for great, informative replies. You know the wetsuit issue has gone back and forth. Tour group sent my e-mail to Equator and repley was, "Return your wetsuits" (to store)as they said water tolerable.

Patty, thank you for site. I now understand the Antarctic current, the Humboldt Current which gives August lowest water temps. August was the time the kids have off from summer programs so it picked!

Again, many thanks!