Search

water taxi from Belize City to Ambergris

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2010, 06:03 AM
PMJ
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
water taxi from Belize City to Ambergris

Do any of the water taxis go directly to San Pedro, or do they all stop at Caye Caulker? Are any 'more comfortable', or 'less uncomfortable' than others? Are they all pretty much the same, or does anyone have a preference of one over the other? And, do you recommend making reservations- particularly during the week between Christmas and New Years?
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 11:40 AM

I'm pretty sure all the water taxis stop at Caulker, other than perhaps an express at the end of the day. It really doesn't add much time to the trip.

On this blog, there is a section about water taxis.

http://belizebus.wordpress.com/

The last one listed has what appear to be more comfortable seating. Not sure if that type of boat is used to Belize City to San Pedro, or just the one from San Pedro to Chetumal. Might me worth an email to find out.

If you're sure of your times, it wouldn't hurt to make reservations for the holiday week.
Old Dec 20th, 2010, 06:19 PM
PMJ
Original Poster

Thanks, Jean. By last, did you mean last in the first list- San Pedro Jet Express? or last entry- Coastal Express? It says that the San Pedro Express leaves from Bird's Isle in Central Belize- is that a different marine terminal than most of them? Thanks for your help. I've learned a lot from your other posts as well.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 06:05 AM

I did mean San Pedro Jet Express. I've never used them, but their web page shows seating such as on a plane. I find the others to be pretty uncomfortable, some people were sitting in the middle, not even a back rest.

Yes, it is a different marine terminal, I have no idea where it's located.

Just want to make sure you know you can fly from the Belize City municipal airport for about $35.00US a person. If time is an issue, it's 20 minutes vs. 90 minutes.....
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 07:27 AM

We flew like Jean recommended; we used Tropic Air, and it was quick and easy. The flight is beautiful too.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 04:54 PM
PMJ
Original Poster

Flying sounds like the way to go to me, but I have a couple of family members who are a bit antsy about the small plane. Also looked at safety records, and Tropic Air seems to have set down in the water three or four times, which made said family members even a bit more leery. Maybe after the trip over, they'll be willing to fly back!
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 05:06 PM
PMJ
Original Poster

If I can talk them into taking the plane back, do I need to make those reservations now, or can I make them a couple days before, when I'm in Belize? Is there a huge Christmas crush for airplane flights? A 17-minute flight sounds pretty cool, I have to admit.
Old Dec 21st, 2010, 05:14 PM

You can wait to make your return reservations, but over the holidays, I'd make them as soon as you make up your mind. If there is enough demand, and they know ahead of time, Tropic will often add another flight.

As for the Tropic planes going down, they did. And every single person walked/swam away with no or minor injuries. Can't say that about a jet.....
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 09:50 PM

Has anyone taken the water taxi from Belize City to San Pedro. My husband will not fly on a small plane under any circumstances. I have already made reservations assuming the water taxi is ok, but recently I have read some very negative posts.
Thank you, Inor
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 06:04 AM

If your husband won't fly, a boat is the only other option.

The water taxis are OK. Maybe you'll get a bit wet from splashes, maybe you won't. It might be a bit rough, or it might be as smooth as glass. Everyone's trip is different and it's more likely that a person who has had a rough trip will get on an internet forum and report it, while the thousands of passengers who have had smooth trips don't say word.

One thing though, keep valuables with your carry on bag; don't put them in the checked bag which should be locked anyway..
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 10:03 AM

Has anyone ever tried (or even heard of) Tropic Ferry. It is a private water taxi that picks you up at the airport and takes you directly to your hotel. It costs $125RT. It sounds good, but I wish I could find a person who has actually used them.
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 10:48 AM

inor, Tropic Ferry is pretty new, I'm thinking less than a year. You may have trouble finding people on the travel boards who have used the service.

I honestly don't see how they can make enough money over the long term to make it profitable. How soon is your trip?

If you can't fly, I'd save your money and take the regular water taxi.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 05:36 AM

On other travel forums, you will find some reports from people who have used this Tropic Ferry. I don't think this forum is the most popular.

From what I understand, this is more of a door-to-door service. Tropic Ferry offers pick-up at the airport, private a/c shuttle transport to their boat (a 3 minute drive to a marina located across the highway from the airport), boat transport directly to your dock on Ambergris Caye, and they throw in all the rum punch you can drink.

http://www.tropicferry.com/
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 09:40 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. I did manage to find more information about Tropic Ferry on Trip Advisor. Also for anyone interested in using Tropic Ferry, I have requested license information from them directly, as someone on Trip Advisor implied they did not have a license.