Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Was to marry in Grand Cayman- need to change to Costa Rica- please help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2004, 06:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello fodorites, I have been reading these boards for months to learn but never have I needed help like I do now! We were to marry in Grand Cayman on 11/6 but that is not possible due to Ivan. We had about 60 guests confirmed from Baltimore, Cali, NY and Chicago. After checking flights, since USAir will not waive change fees (yet) even thought there is nothing to go to in GC- nor do they want tourists yet- it seems the least expensive destination is Costa Rica- for anyone who has been there- can you please advise of the best hotel or resort to accommodate us? We'd like to have things to do ie fishing and beach and also somewhat of a fancy wedding? Have looked at flying to Manuel Antonio, is that the best place for our group? (i expect it to be smaller than the original number due to rebooking expenses..) Thank you!
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 08:05 AM

the Flamingo beach resort, would be great, fly into liberia....lots to do inc. fishing...
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 08:27 AM

mcoyle1,
While the Flamingo Beach Resort is one of our favorite places, it's a long way from luxury or wedding status.

Punta Islita would be a good option for you, although it is isolated. It would be an exceptional place for a wedding and honeymoon, but there wouldn't be a tremendous amount to do there to accomodate the interests of so many people--even 40.

Manuel Antonio would, indeed, be an ideal location because there are several very nice hotels to choose from, many experienced at doing weddings. Also, the area is compact enough that your guests could choose from a variety of accomodations and wouldn't necessarily need to stay in the same hotel as you.

Check out Makanda-by-the-Sea for a wedding possibility. Other hotels good for guests would be Si Como No, Villas Nicolas (right next door to SCN), Costa Verde, Tulemar Bungalows, La Mariposa, and several others. There is a LOT to do in this area (and it is a bit more touristy). Guests could kayak, fish, do a little whitewater, take a canopy tour, visit the national park, ride horseback, and any number of other activities.

Sorry you are having to rearrange plans--what a bummer. However, you are sure to enjoy Costa Rica!
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 09:09 AM

If you do a quick search on the internet, you will find several different outfits that specialize in Costa Rica weddings. Would add a little to the expense but you would have all the options to look at in just one or two places. Fortunately, that is not the busiest time of year for tourists so you should have plenty of options to choose from.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you all for your replies! Much appreciated.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 10:36 AM

Sorry about the destruciton of Ivan, but actually, I think you are quite fortunate to have the opportunity to wed in Costa Rica! I just returned from my second trip there and it is my FAVORITE country. (I have also been to Grand Cayman but prefer Costa Rica)

I would get married at Peace Lodge (www.peacelodge.com)if I had the chance. You fly into San Jose and it is less than one hour from the San Jose airport. (if you go to Manuel Antonio, you will need an additonal flight or drive at least 3 hours to get there.) Peace Lodge will do weddings in their beautiful butterfly garden. You can hike all around the property in the rainforest and see many waterfalls. Also, there are tours from Peace Lodge for white water rafting, Poas volcano, coffee plantations and Canopy zip lines. There is no beach nearby, but the resort has an infinity pool.

Book the deluxe room with the waterfall bathroom. The rooms all have king canopy beds,gas fireplaces,jacuzzi/hammock on the balcony overlooking the jungle and jacuzzi in the bathroom with waterfall shower. My boyfriend and I would like to marry there someday. I have photos if you would like me to e-mail them.

The food at Peace Lodge is delicious. Four course dinner for $20 pp. They have a separate area for groups which would be nice for a reception.Good luck! The Costa ricans are so friendly!!!!!
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 05:02 AM

my suggestion would be the all inclusive Melia Paradisus Resort in Guanacaste - it is north so greater chance of more sun and you could all fly into Liberia.
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 06:30 AM
ponyboy

Sorry about your bad news but it may turn out to be a blessing -Costa Rica is a great country to travel in and your dates are slightly off season so you should have many choices AND good weather / less rain.
I would have to agree with previous posts - Manual Antonio would be a great choice for the following reasons
1)ease of travel - the flight to MA(actually Quepos)is cheap($40-50/each way)and very common -I think there are 7+ flights daily .This will get your guests in and out of San Jose without having to spend the night or rent a car but ask your guests to book early flights into CR and late flights leaving
2)Lodging options - MA is an expensive costa rician destination but there are many choices for all budgets- personally we like SI Como No (nice rooms, consevation ethic and great food) but if someone cannot afford it there are Hostels or cheaper hotels nearby .
3)activities - there are many many thing to do in MA from canopy tours / waterfall rapelling to quiet time in a butterfly gardens to touring the national park.
The park is small and well traveled but everyone will see unique wildlife and some of the trails will satisfy adventure types while the ocean people will love the beaches. All of these activies can be arranged once you get there -do make reservations now unless you have an extremely unusual request of your Hotel tour operator
4)NO RENTAL CARS NEEDED - I would discourage your guests from renting cars as you do not need one in MA - anywhere you want to go is a $5 cab from your hotel and all transportation for tours is included in the price . Maybe if you have such a large party 1 or 2 cars would be nice but most peoples cars sit unused in Hotel lots for $75+/day. If someone does get a car arrange to pick it up in Quepos - the drive from San Jose is pretty ; but kind of hairy too. Get everyone there in one piece. We have never driven in CR- not because we are scared to but because it is cheaper to be driven or flown by someone else who actually knows where they are going and whose job it is to get you there safely - do not be afraid to tell a driver to slow down -mas despactio (SP)por favor.
In summary I would choose Manual Antonio because of the choices I could give my guests in lodging and activities and it is one of the easier places to get to. After the Wedding I would spend a few days at Punta Islita .(another great choice for a wedding but might be a little isolated for some guests and is very expensive to boot). We loved the simple luxury and natural beauty. Then jut on down to the Osa Peninsula (sp?) for some luxury rainforest digs . Check out Lapa Rios , Bosque de Cabo or Iguana Lodge (cheaper)
If anyone has to spend the night in San Jose i would recommend the Costa Rica Marriot- comparable to a Four Seasons or a Ritz Carlton- best of luck- you will love Costa Rica so much more than the Grand Caymans - Pura Vida

Old Sep 27th, 2004, 03:53 PM

Please e-mail me! I am getting married in Manuel Antonio on November 20th and would really like to give you some advice based on my experience.

Joslin
[email protected]
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 03:58 AM

You may want to check out the new four seasons in Guanacaste, they have banquet space, and are really a one stop shop. Food and service are superlative, and they have an unbelievable house florist who would make everything beautiful.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 05:38 AM
Iza

Also consider Villas Caleta north of Manuel Antonio. It sounds like it would be a great wedding destination.
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 05:39 AM
Iza

Sorry but I am typing way to fast this morning: it should have been Villa Caletas (http://www.hotelvillacaletas.com/indexflash.html)
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 08:51 AM

re a previous post and Peace Lodge - I don't think they could accommodate 60 people etc, nice place and great setting but not enough rooms...
You could also check out Marriott Los Suenos or Melia Playa Conchal - both larger properties that would have onsite staff to assist in all the arrangements as well as having the experience.
I did site inspections at both a few weeks ago and was favorably impressed by both. (17 years in hotel industry around the world for comparison)...
Good luck and best wishes,
Andrew
Old Sep 28th, 2004, 10:17 AM

Cala Luna is also a place to consider. It is in Tamarindo and therefore there is less chance of rain.
Joslin