Walking from Agua Calientes to Machu Picchu

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible to walk there/back to Machu Picchu from the town? I heard it takes an hour (downhill). I was wondering as I would like to stay late after the crowds are gone. Does anyone know the last bus from the ruins to town? Also how much is the admission to the ruins - still $20 USD?
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 07:11 AM
Jed

Are you asking about walking a round trip?

We took the bus, and it is a long way down, but I doubt if it would take longer than 15 minutes, if that, from the top to the base. After you get to the base, you walk along the tracks to get to town. Where do you want to get to in town?
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Hi Jed and thanks, I'd like to check in to the MP Pueblo, take the bus to the ruins, then walk back to hotel after sunset. Is this 'do-able' and safe?
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Jed

Sorry - I can't advise you on that.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 10:03 AM

The way to walk down is not to follow the road the buses use as this road makes several switchbacks and is quite narrow. There is a trail.

School-aged Peruvian boys play this trick where they run down the trail and beat the bus back! They earn quite a good propino... little tip... doing this and it is great fun to watch. They will make sure you see them by waving and shouting "Good-bye". Then, as the bus heads down the trail they will be waiting at several different spots waving and shouting "Good-bye".

When we were there we always just took one of the last buses down. One thing in your favor is that the train from Aguas Calientes back to Cusco leaves at 3:00 PM or so. Crowds tend to show up at 10:30 or 11:00 and leave by 2:00. You may have more solitude that you realize if you take the first bus up and the last one down. Here's the Peru Rail schedule: http://perurail.com/Frames_Pages/mainpage1.htm

Seems like the last bus down was about 4:00 or 4:30, but that may change depending on the seasons. The bus ride is 20 minutes.

I can't answer your safety questions either.

- Sharon