Search

Volcanoes!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volcanoes!!!

I always wanted to see a volcano up close, and I remember watching a TV show a few years ago where tourists could get really close to lava flow. Unfortunately I don’t remember where it was…

On an Internet search I found out that there are many volcanoes in Costa Rica. Does anyone know if we can get close to any of them?
Or, where else could I go to see an active volcano?

Thank you all for the help!
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 11:12 AM
RAC

Arenal is the big active volcano in CR.

We're going on February.

Old Oct 25th, 2007, 11:25 AM

You can really get close and personal in Guatemala. There is a volcano called Pacaya that is near both Guatemala City and Antigua (I recommend Antigua to visit it from). You can see red hot lava right below your feet. Be careful and do wear shoes with good solid soles as it can be rough walking on the drying lava!

Arenal is a lovely volcano to visit and the surrounding area has lots to do. You can't get as close there. Most of what comes out of Arenal are red hot rocks that bounce down the sides but there is some lava at times.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Thank you RAC and Suzie2. Just by reading it I'm getting excited! I'm also planing my trip for sometime in February 08.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 12:22 PM

My fiance and I visited Volcan Arenal in Costa Rica last January. It was amazing! You can hear the volcano rumbling throughout the day and actually see the lava flow at night. That trip was one of my favorites.
If you go, spend some time at the National Park. It was very cheap and you get to climb through dried lava from an erruption a few years ago. While we were there we saw toucans and monkeys (an added plus). You also get a GREAT view of the volcano from the park. =)
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 01:02 PM

We went to Hawaii two years ago; Volcano National Park there is amazing. We were able to hike out at night across the lava fields and watch the red hot lava flow into the ocean. The lava has shifted since we were there, so no more hiking out to see that, but when it shifts back, you should go. The entire park is amazing.

Arenal in La Fortuna is really cool too; it's a giant cone that's visible for miles around. We stayed at the Lost Iguana there and watched the lava flow every night from our balcony - it was amazing. The lava is always shifting, so it's hard to know the best places to go for viewing.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 02:07 PM
RAC

If you're going in February 2008, you need to start booking flights and hotels pretty soon. We ran into places being booked up in September.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 03:04 PM

Costa Rica has many Volcanos as others have mentioned here are
some <a href="http://www.anywherecostarica.com/tra...ot;>Volcano Destinations in Costa Rica</a>

for a up close and personal look at and active volcano you got to visit Arenal. <a href="http://www.arenal.net/arenal-volcano...uot;>Arenal Volcano Eruption Photos</a>

6 of <a href="http://www.anywherecostarica.com/att...quot;>Costa Rica National Parks</a> are volcanos

Brief Descriptions of <a href="
http://www.arenal.net/costa-rica-vol...">More volcanos in Costa Rica
</a>

The country is just amazing besides some of these active volcano there are hundreds of inactive volcanos. Remember Costa Rica is one along the Ring of fire and is very mountainous so it is a great country to explore volcanos. Suzie2 is correct Pacaya, Guatamala is a great Volcano as well. I hike to the very top but I am pretty sure that is not possible any more it is very very active.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

That was great folks, The info is really useful.
The experience we are lookin for is basically what EternalTourist and VolcanoGirl had.
Thanks again, and, if you're reading this and have some more info, it'll be appreciated.
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Just to add to my question, the trip was fantastic and I got a "light burn" from the heat - you really get very close to the lava. One thing to consider is taking the horse up. My wife and I couldn't have made on foot, although most of the people did. If you are going to Guatemala you can't miss Pacaya.