Search

Arenal or VNP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arenal or VNP

I know that this kind of question has been asked before, but instead of getting into Hawaii vs CR debate, I have a specific question about volcano views. My six year old son has this great interest in watching volcanoes (he was glued to tv watching the movie volcano the other day). We will have about six days in July to take him to either CR or Big Island in July. We live in Chicago area. I have done some cost comparison and that would not be a deciding factor. If viewing a volcano is a prime consideration besides some other site seeing activities, which one would you choose. I will pose this question on Hawaii board also. Thank You.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 01:36 PM

If the lava is flowing at VNP then VNP.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 01:45 PM

VNP...Arenal is beautiful, you'd enjoy it but I wouldn't consider it a pure volcano watching type of place! The sonic booms are awesome but the lava flow is not like VNP.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 03:22 PM

There is no guarantee the lava flow or even the tip of volcano will be visible while you are there. We were in Arenal at the end of March and the peak of volcano was clouded over the two nights of our stay. The day we arrived, it was quite cloudy and you couldn't even recognize a 'volcano' shape. This is in 'dry' season.

Also, even though Arenal has activity on average around 29 times a day, it can go dormant for a few days at a time. While we were there the activity was barely noticeable and infrequent. It is still a worthwhile trip if you plan to do other things in the area which is very beautiful and abundant with wildlife.
Old Apr 7th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your response. We have decided to go Hawaii BI for this trip. Will defenitely do CR in future.