### Volcano Hike Worth IT? ###

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Arenal/La fortuna area we may be interested in a volcano hike usually late afternoon so during latter part of tour, when it is darker, you see red sparks come from volcano. Friend said you can get good view of this from your hotel so no need to take hike. We will be at Tabacon Resort and then Hotel Arenal Paraiso, both in La Fortuna. Any advise? Thanks!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 03:20 PM

You have an excellent view from the Arenal Paraiso--we watched for hours from our bed. I understand that TR also has very good views.

We did do a volcano hike as it is more than just the volcano--lots of wildlife, and great stories if you have a local guide. And it was just fun to be that much closer to the volcano at sunset.

We were lucky--perfect views of the volcano both nights we were there.

At the Arenal Paraiso (and I would assume other hotels as well), you can ask them to wake you up if the volcano starts putting on a good show late at night. Well worth losing some sleep.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 06:11 AM

We did the night hike and very much enjoyed it. We had a local guide, that pointed out so many things that we would have missed. Plus he gave us a history lesson on the area. It was very enjoyable, but we very much enjoy this type of thing.

Once we emerged out of the forest, there stood the volcano, just beggining its spectacular show.

Funny though I didn't comprehend before hand that our van would be waiting for the group, here at the area we came out of the forest! Along with many other vans, where people had been driven to this location, opting not to do the hike. So obviously there are other options for getting closer.

Short version - if you enjoy hiking, the beauty of nature, interesting tidbits of info, some wildlife and birds, then yes do the hike.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Hi dfarmer-- I have seen you reply before and thank you for doing so to my query. Do you and RufusTFirefly, thank you too for a repy, recall outfit you booked your volcano hike through? Have any contact information for them? Thanks!!
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 08:33 AM

Thanks and you are welcome.

We booked our hike directly from the front desk at Arenal Parasio. So, no sorry I don't recall his name.

Old Mar 11th, 2005, 12:36 PM

We also booked ours at the Arenal Paraiso, but I did have our guide write down his name and address. I'll try to dig it out. He was a local fellow who grew up tromping through the forests, so he had some entertaining stories and was very knowledgeable.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

RufasTFirefly-- Thanks for digging out any name with contact you may find. Post it here so we can help others too.