Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Visiting Guatemala..should I go to Coban?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be in Guatemala for 2 1/2 weeks in May and visiting Antigua, Lake Atilan and flying to Tikal. SHould I take the bus to Coban for a couple of days? Is it worth the trip or should I stay and enjoy the other areas. thanks. Barbara
Old Mar 26th, 2008, 07:25 AM

For me, Coban is one of those "secondary" places to go in Guatemala. I do like the place, but I would not sacrifice precious time in Antigua, Lake Atitlan, Chichicastenango and Tikal in order to see it. If you have time, take it in, but I would make sure to do justice to Guatemala's big sights.

Coban has a thriving indigenous community, but architecturally, it is quite modern. It doesn't look like Antigua. A big part of the attraction are the outdoor activities available in the region surrounding Coban.

Plan on a trip of 4-5 hours to get there from Guatemala City.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 02:29 PM

Hello, I realize it rains quite a lot in Coban, Guatemala. But I was wondering how often and how much the sun actually does shine. Like several months or weeks without sunshine, or rain interspersed with sunshine during the day? Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 03:36 PM

bms153: With only 2 and a half weeks I'd leave it out. If you want to see more than you've listed you might consider busing up to Tikal and stopping midway for a few nights in/around Rio Dulce town so you can boat up the Rio Dulce to check out Livingston. You could fly one way from Flores back to GUA before your flight home.

billreinke: Depends on 1) time of year and 2) luck of the draw. Most parts of Guatemala get more rain in the summer and fall (they call it winter) but mornings are usually beautiful and the rains hit in the mid to late afternoon or in the evening/night.
Old Aug 29th, 2009, 12:44 PM

We took a trip to Guatemala in February and stopped in Coban en route back (by car) from Tikal toward Guatemala City. It was a quick visit so we did not by any means see all the region has to offer. But I would agree with others it is not a must see area in the time you have available