Search

Visa question

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Scott

Visa question

So I sent my passport off to the Brazillian consulate for my visa. They stamped it and sent it back. I'm clueless to getting a visa, so is this all there is to it? I just show them my passport as usual on entry and it's cool? Thanks, Scott

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Don

Scott, thats it, your cool for 5 years multiple entries but don't stay longer than 90 days at a time. The federal police in Brazil will inspect your passport and look for that valid visa of course it will be there because your airline company will not let you on the plane without it. Boa Viagen e Boa sorte.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 05:26 AM
Don

Scott, one more thing, before you are about to land the flight attendants will distribute some Brazilian forms you need to fill out. When you go through customs with these forms in Brazil they will take a copy of it and give you the other copy. You need to keep this copy and present it back to them when you return on your way home. Don't forget, don't loose this paper, it's required to leave the country.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 08:04 AM
djoy

Help! Delta has rerouted us from buenos aires through Sao Paolo back to Atlanta. We are flying Varig to S.P. and connect in the same airport. I am concerned because we don't have visas for Brazil. Has anyone had problems with this or been stranded? Delta has assured us that its not a problem but I am still uneasy with this. thanks.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 02:37 PM
Larry

To DJOY:<BR>They might place you in a large room away from all the activities of the airport while you wait to make the <BR>connection and take the plane back to<BR>Atlanta. I don't think you will need<BR>a visa on your passport if you are just passing by. <BR>But, it wouldn't hurt asking a good travel agent or the Brazilian consulate.<BR>I find that companies like Delta sometimes give you the wrong information.<BR>Good luck<BR>

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 04:23 PM
Don

Djoy, I guess the only time thas can be a problem is if your flight has problems and is cancelled for the day. If thats the case then you might not be allowed out of the airport because you cannot enter the country. It's possible then that Delta would have to make special arrangements for you like get you a visa right there in the airport some how. But I seem to remember speaking to someone in the past who had to make a stop like that in Brazil and then proceed on to another country and I do believe that he had to get a visa and he wasn't planning on leaving the airport, it was just in case his flight is cancelled. Like the previous poster states you may want to contact a Brazilian consulate and get their take on it or play it completely safe and get a visa.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 04:15 AM
Jill

I just got my Brazilian visa yesterday and it cost a staggering $100.<BR><BR>That is totally ridiculous and I thought about cancelling the trip out of protest. There are, afterall, thousands of other wonderful destinations in the world. But, I will go to Brazil anyway.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 04:26 AM
Margaret

I sent off for my Visa over a week ago. It was a good thing that I had gone to the Brazilian website beforehand because effective Nov 1 they had increased it to $100 (they said because the US had increased theirs). Many countries charge the same amount that our country charges its' citizens to obtain a US visa.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 05:18 AM
George

I have a question related to Don's statement about good for 5 years. My partner and I applied and rec'd our passports back with a stamp in them, which I am assuming are our Visa's for December...does that mean if we go again within the next 5 years we don't need to reapply? Please clarify...THKS!!

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Don

George, that's exactly what that means, you can go as many times as you want for the next 5 years from the date of your first entry, just don't stay longer than 90 days. So if you go 2 times a year and spent $100 for the visa then that is $10 each entry for those who thought that it was so expensive.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Susie Q

You should have a visa to change planes in Brazil. A few years ago I was assured by the Brazilian Consul that I would not need one. I was changing in Rio from a Continental flight to a Varig on my way to Uruguay. It ended up with a Varig agent sneaking me in a van from one terminal to another. The flight back was even worse, since the Varig agent just dropped me at the rear of the Continental terminal and I ended up being interrogated by security and almost didn't make my flight.

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 06:26 PM
Vanessa

If we're travelling to Brazil from Canada via Guyana do we need to get our visa's in Canada or can be get them in Guyana? If it's a $100 US charge in the US, I'm thinking the charge in Guyana is likely a lot less than what we'll pay here in Canada.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 06:13 AM
JP

Vanessa, $100 is the cost of a visa for a U.S. citizen, and doesn't depend on where the visa is acquired.<BR><BR>Brazil charges $100 because the U.S. now charges $100 for a visa for Brazilian citizens. The charge went up recently to cover additional background checks required because of terrorism. A number of countries have this same policy of reciprocity on visa charges. Even France did it for a while in the late 80's until the U.S. eliminated visa charges for French citizens. Chile is another South American country that now charges $100.<BR>

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 01:55 PM
Vanessa

Thanks, JP. I checked with the Embassy in Ottawa and we can get our visas in Georgetown Guyana but the charge will be the same as here in Canada. Which according to their website is $72 Cdn if we drop off and pick-up or $90 Cdn if we send by mail. Even at $90 Cdn, that a lot less than $100 US. The $90 Cdn is only about $56 US so I feel much better.

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 06:03 PM
anthony

JP is right, the visa requirement and cost is because whatever country you come from requires the equivalent of Brasillian visitors. My travelling companion (South African) and I (British) didn't require visas at all for Brasil - so Jill, while it would be perfectly reasonable of you to decide to forgo Brasil for someplace that does not require you to get an expensive visa, remember that protest might need to be lodged with your own government as well as with Brasil's!