Search

Villa Caletas Costa Rica?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Villa Caletas Costa Rica?

Has anyone stayed at the Villa Caletas in Costa Rica? If so, would you recommend it and what time of year were you there? Considering going in August...
Thanks!
Old Jul 8th, 2003, 08:37 AM

I was there in March for 4 days - stayed in a junior suite. Nice room with terrific views way down to the ocean. The beach is a haul (by jeep). We walked down to it and it was so steep that my legs were killing me - not recommended! If you like pools this one is nice. The food is VERY mediocre especially for the price. Make sure you have a car so you can dine other places (ask Carolina, concierge, for suggestions - she told us of a great italian restaurant 30 miles south). If you are into hanging out at the pool it is a great place. (There were also a lot of neat birds we saw from our room porch.) We were more interested in doing things so we rented a car and went to Manual Antonio one day and Carrara another day.
Old Jul 9th, 2003, 10:22 PM
Original Poster

Carol-
Thanks for the info. We will be staying in a Junior Suite too. Can you give me more ideas of what you did during your time there?
We're staying 5 nights and we'll have a car, so we'd like to do some day trips. Did you do any of the tours they offered? They seemed pricy to me. I'd really like to see the jungle, birds, monkeys, etc. while we are there.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 06:20 AM

If you have a car there are lots of things to do. Their list of things for one thing. It can give you ideas of what is doable by driving.
Jaco is not my favorite place but you could check it out. There are lots of shops and a couple of good places on the beach for dinner.
Carara Reserve is very near by and has great birding/wildlife (Jungle). The trails are very well kept up and easy to do. The bridge over the Tarcoles is near there also and worth a quick stop to see the huge crocs.
Manuel Antonio/Quepos is a short ride down the road, If you got up early you could have quite a few hours to hike in the park and do a little swimming at the beach.
You have probably seen the warnings as there have been plenty but they are worth repeating because people still have problems....do not leave anything in your car while out hiking/sightseeing!!! Try to get back to your hotel or within an easy ride before dark. Jaco for instance is only about 1/2hr or less from there and shouldn't be a problem for night time travel. The roads around Villa Caletas are pretty good and it is a straight shot pretty much also to Manuel Antonio from where you will be (mountains and curvy roads tho).
Sarchi is doable but if you really want to get to Arenal/Tabacon I would go on the tour because the road signs can be confusing and you would be getting back after dark. Have a good map because the road signs are not the greatest.
Old Jul 10th, 2003, 09:50 AM

Since we were there 4 nights that left us three full days. We spent one day going to Manual Antonio. HINT: get there at 7:00 when it opens! We got there at 10:00 and it was mobbed. In fact people were walking the trails and talking instead of listening and observing. For us it was disappointing because we did not see a lot of wildlife. (Enjoyed Corcovado on the Osa much more...people (tourists) there are more respectful.)
We also spent a morning at Carrara...got there before it opened which was nice. Had an easy walk along fairly flat trails. Otherwise we just hung out at VC. Not much else to do there. Drove through Jaco on our way back from MA...a dump in my opinion unless you are a teenager. (Bought all our coffee to take back home at a grocery store there.) Talk to the concierge (Carolina) for some good food advice. Have fun.