Search

Valladolid/Uxmal

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2002, 07:13 PM
karenwishart

Valladolid/Uxmal

I originally was going to bus straight to Valladolid from Cancun and use El Meson del Marques as my base for 4 days to visit Chitchen Itza, Uxmal,and the local cenotes and maybe up to Rio Lagaras if I'm ambitious enough...all by bus. After reading up I think I will rent a car so as to be assured getting to someof the places without waiting around for buses and also to do some spontaneous exploring. My question is...will it be better to plan to stay nearer to Uzmal at least one night as I would like to go to the night light show? How far is the drive from Valladolid?and would Izamal be a good place to stay?

Old May 24th, 2002, 04:07 AM
Earl

Valladolid is a long haul from Uxmal, over two hours (If you take the toll road as far as Merida.) and even longer if you don't. Roads are narrow, and sometimes directions are confusing. <BR>Driving in Mexico at night is never a good idea, and I would not encourage you to follow your original plan. There are good accommodations at Uxmal so plan to stay overnight near the ruins. <BR>In my opinion, the Luz y Sonido at Chichen Itza was better than the show at Uxmal, and I have seen them both several times. Feel free to eme if you would like any more information.

Old May 24th, 2002, 05:58 AM
rex

I agree with not driving at night in this area. The main hotels at Uxmal are walking distance from the ruins and are very nice. With regard to Izamal, not sure from your question if you're asking if it's a good place to stay in general or a good place to stay for visiting Uxmal...the answers would be yes and no, in that order. Don't forget to include Merida...indeed, it could be the best base for seeing all of these areas you mention.

Old May 24th, 2002, 02:49 PM
McH

Karen,<BR><BR>I agree with the previous post. You should consider staying at Merida as your home base, rent a car and drive to the various destinations you are considering. It would take 1.30 hour to Uxmal (and you can include other places such as Kabah, Sayil and Labna), 1.15 - 1.30 to Chichen, and about 45 min to Izamal. The city of Merida is quite interesting.<BR><BR>Good luck,<BR><BR>McH

Old May 27th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Sant

I third the Merida homebase suggestion. If you're into cenotes there are two good ones that you can swim in near Chichen Itza, Dzitnup and Balancanche.<BR>Also consider some towns on the coast of the Yucatan. While the water and beaches are not pretty likein QR, they offer other interests. Progreso has great seafood restuarants, if my memory serves me well, nearby Chicxulub is where the meteor that supposedly wiped out the dinosaurs struck Earth, and Celestun is the birthing grounds for all the flamingos in the Western Hemisphere.<BR><BR>Have fun. I loved traveling in the Yucatan province. The people are really nice, friendly, and helpful and the food is delicious!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Liz

My boyfriend and I stayed at the greatest place in Merida. An old hacienda called the Casa San Juan Bed and Breakfast, we loved it and we loved Mexico. Both Valladolid and Uxmal were awesome! You can find this place at www.yucatantravel.com/B&Bs/merida/index.html. Have a great trip!