Reload this Page >

Vaccines necessary for visit to CR ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 08:08 AM
carol

My doctor thinks I should be protected against hepatitis A, malaria, and typhoid before traveling to CR (Osa and pacific coast)for vacation in March.<BR>I wonder if this is truly necessary.<BR>Any thoughts? Thank you.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Dave

Refer to the following web site maintained by the Canadian government regarding travel advice...including health information.<BR><BR>http://www.voyage.gc.ca/destinations/bulletin_e.htm

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Louie

All the travel books I've read say that it's not necessary.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 07:02 PM
Russ

A wise precaution anytime when in such an area is religious use of mosquito repellent. Just as West Nile does in a country that is relatively arid (the US), countries with constant humidity, extensive rainforest, and wetlands have more mosquitoes that can sometimes carry similar illnesses (dengue, etc.)<BR><BR>Wear repellent with DEET all over your body.

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 07:10 PM
Terri

Carol: I elected to get Hep A and typhoid vaccinations and decided to go without the malaria medication. Mosquitos love me, so this was a tough decision. I was concerned about the serious side effects of some of the malarial drugs, as was my physician, and knew I would be in areas of very low incidence of malaria. I had absolutely no problem and never met anyone there who did. The DEET didn't really help me, but taking brewer's yeast worked like a charm.

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 11:40 AM
David Cook

I have heard that garlic pills are a good repellant also as well as a general health aid; they help keep away the turista, etc.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 06:23 AM
Tia

Carol:<BR><BR>My hubby and I went last March and got all the shots you mentioned with no ill effects thankfully. There weren't as many bugs as I thought, but we did see moisquitos. We toyed with the idea of getting them or not getting them. In the end, we decided we might as well as they were paid for by our insurance so we did. They suggested getting malaria esp. since we went to the coast. I'd check the CDC web site as that's what we did. Hope this helps.<BR><BR>Tia

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 07:53 AM
hector

My family and I went on a vacation to Costa Rica years ago and skipped the vacinations. After returning my mother came down with flu like symptoms. She become deathly ill with Malaria. She spent several days in intensive care and even the doctor admitted that New York area doctors are not up to date with tropical diseases.<BR><BR>Dengue is at a epidemic level in El Salvadore and Gautemala. So think twice.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 05:59 PM
Terry

I am a doctor, I just returned from Tamarindo. I elected to do the hepatitis prophylaxis, it's a rotten thing to have and I tend to be an adventurous eater (the sushi was awesome!). The strain of malaria there is &quot;vivax&quot; which is the easiest to treat if you get it (not all of Costa Rica has malaria). The more likely thing to get is Dengue fever which is transmitted by mosquitoes and endemic in Central and South America. DEET is a must! The mosquitos are all over, not aggressive, but very apparent. so as long as you practice good mosquito prevention, I don't think the malaria prophylaxis is necessary, and I didn't take it. There is no drug prophylaxis for Dengue, just long sleeves and DEET.<BR><BR>Typhoid is only a concern if you are both food adventurous and at the same time in a remote less than modern village. Not likely for most travelers.<BR><BR>The water is safe to drink, and you will likely be suprised at how great and clean the food is.<BR><BR>Have fun!