Twinkle, Twinkle Iberostar...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twinkle, Twinkle Iberostar...

...how I wonder what you are.

Friends,

I recently posted a message regarding alternate resorts in Mexico for Easter due to "Wilma". Shmerl was nice enough to give me a brief description of all the Iberostar Hotels to choose from. However, will someone please elaborate on their experiences at each or any of them. There are so many to choose from. How do you know which one to choose????

Thanks in Advance.

Frank
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HI,
It's me again. One of the best sites for info on the Iberostars is:

http://www.iberostar-board.com/boards/index.php

Old Mar 4th, 2006, 08:46 AM

had to reply cause I hate it when I see someone else w/ a frank in their name, lol!
If it matters to you, Travel & Leisure gave the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo on of their top hotels in Latin America award. I noticed it, because all-ins are usually never included in these snooty lists, so that does say something...
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Schmerl and frankie.

Schmerl, I did find your recommended website from another post and it has been very informative. Thank you. However, the hundreds of posts raised a few more questions:

1) Is paying a little extra $ for the Maya worth it? It seems that the differences are the bigger rooms, semi-private pools and two additional ala carte restaurants. However, many posts stated that if you have children, the Lindo may be the better choice due to more children in that area.

2) Becuase I have a 10 and 8 year old, are we even allowed to use these reataurants at night? Some say yes and some say no. This will greatly influence my decision. If I cannot eat at these "ala carte's" with children under 12, I may decide that this location (Iberostar) may not be the best for what our entire family are looking for. I do not understand this policy. I have stayed in Cancun at hotels like The Ritz and FA Coral Beach, which have 1st class restaurants and this has never been an issue. What up with this?

3) I am an avid runner and weight lifter, therefore, the location and quality of a gym is important. One post stated that the Lindo gym was "in a palapa outside and had rusted equipment". Is this true?

4)It seems to be a consensus on the "buffet foods" are not very good. Do you agree?

5)What Building at the Lindo would you recommend. There seems to be some construction and noise with the new "Grand Paraiso".

Please give me the inside scoop. Some of these posts are confusing and contradictory.

Thanks again.

Frank
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 11:02 AM

I personally wouldn't pay the extra for the Maya. You listed the extras and they just don't seem worth the extra $$$.
The ala carte restaurants DO allow children. I think there is only one gourmet restaurant that restricts children under a certain age.
We actually found some very good food at the buffets. We had lobster, shrimp, ceviche, lamb, etc. Not just junk food type things . They always have a carving station for meat,and fish. There is always pasta. They had some great soups. There is so much food, you can't go hungry.
As for the gym, I was a slug on our vacation and didn't even check out the gym, so I can't help you with that. There are plenty of paths for running though.
You won't be bothered by the new construction at the Lindo. The construction is alongside the Maya.
There are no elevators in the LIndo, but we still like a room on the top floor (only three floors). Just ask for a room on the top floor facing the pool.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Great! Thanks Schmerl.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 06:19 AM

Frank,
Let us know how you make out. I'm interested to know if you are able to get anything for Easter week this late. I went into a couple sites that sell Iberostar packages and can't even get flights out of my area.