Tulum - Accommodation

Old Oct 31st, 2016, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Tulum - Accommodation

Hi, I am now looking at booking a place to stay at Tulum - our dates are 30th December to 2nd, say, of January: we shall be coming from Merida (by bus) having spent 6 nights there including a night on the Ruta Puuc. We don't need to stay on the beach particularly in view of the - very - high prices, but even the places in town are booked up a lot, it seems - am I looking in the wrong place for a hotel to stay at (we want a relatively decent hotel). Can anyone suggest somewhere to stay, we are going to Tulum as we want to get a feel for the Yucatan area. It is also a possibility we shall take in the Si'an biosphere. Or should I rather skip Tulum - and then what alternatives?
Thanks in advance for all help offered.
Old Oct 31st, 2016, 07:36 AM

Where have you looked?
What constitutes "decent" for you?
Isn't Merida "the Yucatan area"?
What's Si'an?

IMO Tulum is one of the most fun and interesting places in the Yucatan.
Old Oct 31st, 2016, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Quintana roo then! Sian Ka'an.
Old Oct 31st, 2016, 11:53 AM

Still haven't said where you've already looked and what your definition of decent is (and in what specific budget).
Old Oct 31st, 2016, 11:56 AM

I am seeing open rooms on booking.com right now.
If I were you, I wouldn't hesitate long to book anything that looks reasonable. You'll be at the beach anyway most of the time, or at a cenote, or sightseeing. You won't find the Ritz right in Tulum or even in the beach zone though.
Old Oct 31st, 2016, 02:05 PM

patriciab, You are right when you say that Tulum is in the Yucatan as it is in the Yucatan Penninsula. Merida is in the state of Yucatan.
As for Tulum, rates are quite high there. You can check airbnb and VRBO where you'll get more bang your buck. You might also take a look at Akumal. It's a bit further north on the carib side and a bit less costly. It's more laid back than Cancun and Playa del Carmen but still accessible to public transport, restaurants etc.
What's your hotel budget?
Old Oct 31st, 2016, 02:43 PM

IMO, Tulum is a little overrated (except for the beach) as the city is about 3 miles away from the beach. The Tulum ruins are all roped off and everything must be appreciated from a distance... Tulum is in the state of Quintana Roo which is an hour difference from Merida, which is in the state of Yucatan.
I would agree with cybor as to experience Akumal rather than Tulum. There is also the closed gate community called Puerto Aventuras which is 20 minutes north of Akumal. Of course at this point you are but 15 minutes south of Playa del Carmen which has everything for everyone and is located right on the many beaches along it's cost. The good news here is that you have many choices and if stuck for a place to stay, you will most certainly find a comfy hotel in Playa.
Old Oct 31st, 2016, 04:33 PM

New Years is high season, so I am not surprised that you are finding high rates. Tulum beach is great, so if you can find something in your price range along the beach, then great. The town itself is ok - there are some good places to eat and a bit of shopping, but it isn't a quaint or picturesque town.

If the rates along Tulum beach are too high, I'd definitely opt for Akumal over staying in Tulum town.
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all, cybor my hotel budget , reluctantly, could be £100 or slightly more - which is about $112-ish plus.I am looking at one hotel that is in that price range - hmmm, no matter what, if one can't get sleep because a bar next door is playing loud music, it is a misery.
Will look at Akumal.
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 07:30 AM

"If the rates along Tulum beach are too high, I'd definitely opt for Akumal over staying in Tulum town."

I disagree. The pueblo/town is fine. You would need transportation to the beach though. It is one of the nicest beaches in the area, including Akumal.
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 07:33 AM

U$112 including tax will get you a decent posada in the pueblo----but book NOW.
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 07:53 AM

This room with breakfast looks nice enough that I may try it myself. It sounds like it's very close to the beach and within walking distance of the village.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2559168?s=DBwNl1VU

Also, you might check out Puerto Morelos for other less costly options. The further north you go in PM the more it gets condo-y and built up. The places close to the fishing village are a bit more authenticate. You'll find many places within your budget.
https://www.airbnb.com/s/Puerto-More...verride%5B%5D=

PM also has one of my favorite restaurants in all of the Yucatan. https://www.yelp.com/biz/john-grays-...puerto-morelos
We like staying in PM because of the price of lodging, the diving, snorkling and to eat at John Grays just about every night we stay there. We also like PM because it's fairly close to Playa del Carmen, the ferry over to Cozumel and Isla of Mujeres.
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 12:35 PM

I am also seeing a few places in your price range on booking.com but not a lot, you have left things late so pickings will be slim. Your budget is very low for the time of year.
Puerto Morelos is a good idea, also take a look at Macario Gomez, a small village 15 minutes drive from Tulum inland. You would need a car or ask about the bus schedule.
The casita (Casita Annette at Playa Caribe on Half Moon Bay in North Akumal) I stayed at last trip for $75 in May is now up to $99 in May with no ocean view. Does have a pool, AC and kitchen. You could also try Yal Ku Kai casita and La Joya studio #3 also in Half Moon Bay.
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, you are all so kind. I have at least booked 2 nights at Casa Hamaca Guesthouse in Valladolid. Puerto Morelos does sound interesting, I shall have a look at it tomorrow, also will have a look at airbnb, have never used that, shall see how it goes, thanks again for all the suggestions.
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 08:01 PM
kja

Personally, I'm glad I did not stay in Tulum town -- at least when I was there, it was uninviting and it would have been costly to get to the beach just for that experience. (I had to take a taxi to the ruins no matter where I stayed.) JMO.

I was very fortunate in finding an affordable beach-front room when I visited Tulum, a room at a place that no longer exists. I know what it is to travel on a budget, and FWIW, I found that it is sometimes worth it to splurge for a night if that's what it takes. I'm not making a recommendation here -- your call, patriciabrogan! -- but I would say that falling asleep, and waking up, to the sound of Tulum's surf remains one of my most treasured moments of a 3-week trip to Mexico and (for that matter) many other travels, too. If you haven't already done so, you might look at your overall average room rates, rather than your preferred rate per night. Just something to consider....

I did enjoy Puerto Morelos, but note that it does NOT have the magnificent beaches for which much of Quintana Roo, and the Tulum area in particular, is known. Puerto Morelos was a perfect one-night stop for me, because I had never snorkeled, and that was a safe and wonderful place to have that experience.

I loved Valladolid and am glad you are planning two nights there!

Hope this information helps....
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 09:14 PM

Samba - You disagree that I'd choose to stay on the beach in Akumal over staying in Tulum pueblo?
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 05:30 AM

I disagree that it is a preferable choice, yes. The beach at Tulum is more beautiful, in our opinion, than (the still lovely) Akumal, much as I love swimming among the turtles. It is spectacular.
The Tulum pueblo has opportunities for encountering local Maya residents to converse with about their lives and culture, but Akumal is about foreign tourists. We've had, for example, an interesting conversation with the young caretaker of a local denote about the prejudice he's experienced as a Maya, a history lesson, and been gifted a shard of Maya pottery. We love the festivals in Tulum with live bands every night to dance bachata.
From looking around us, foreign tourists seem to bother to discover this part of the culture that we value. Perhaps because they stay in Akumal. Lol
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 08:40 AM

cenote, of course, not denote
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

thanks guys, I have booked a place at Tulum, it is expensive and a bit out of the way but sounds nice and I'm looking forward to the owner's recommendations for restaurants,about $360 for 2 nights! (more expensive than Venice, man!) SambaChula, your description of the Tulum pueblo sounds lovely, am looking forward to that!kja, I have slept in lovely fishermen's cottages to the sound of the surf in the Eastern Cape in South Africa:it is glorious as you say, but not at these prices! Thanks for your reassurances re Valladolid, we have booked a place there for 2 nights, am now looking at Puerto Morelos.
Special thanks to cybor for the recommendation of Puerto Morelos, I am now looking at places there,that Gray's kitchen sounds super. Also I definitely will start thinking about air bnb in future, also thanks for all the reassurances.
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 07:42 AM

I'm sure you can find accommodations somewhere close to Tulum. Are you looking for a regular hotel as opposed to an AI? Puerto Morelos is a good choice, as is Akumal. You could always try Playa del Carmen which has hundreds of places to stay. it's more urban than Tulum but the beach is great. Have you looked on locogringo.com?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO