tulum

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tulum

We would like to take a cab from Playa Del Carmen to Tulum and spend a day at the beach but don't know the best beach and how to get there or the best places to eat... any suggestions?
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 03:52 AM

The beach at Tulum is great. It is essentially one long white sand beach for several miles. You want to be south of the actual ruins. Here is a map http://www.bill-in-tulsa.com/mapoftulum.html

As you can see plenty of hotels and restaurants. Depends what you mean when you say "best places to eat" - fancy dining or more of a bar. Towards the north end El Paraiso and Nachos are good and towards the middle Maya Tulum is also good. I think El Paraiso allows you to rent chairs. I think most hotels allow you to rent chairs (but you can check/email before hand). We ate a Maya Tulum and it is a nice health-food-veggie with fresh fruit smoothie kind of place.

Not sure how much a taxi would be - we had a rental car.

You'll love the Tulum beach - probably the best in the area (though Akumal will be the best for snorkeling from shore).
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:06 AM

You could also take the bus or colectivo to Tulum pueblo and then take the taxi to the beach if you wanted to save some money. The bus station is on 5th Ave and Juarez and the colectivo stand is on 2nd I believe. They do rent chairs and beach beds/umbrellas at Paraiso. I think the chairs are $4 USD as the price just went up. The restaurant will serve you food/snacks/drinks either on the beach or at the restaurant which is in the middle of the beach. There are also restrooms and an outdoor shower to wash off. Taxi's wait at Paraiso beach for people leaving who want rides so no problem finding one for the trip back.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:23 AM

Info has been spotty on Paraiso, now called Nuddy - some have shown up there and say it's closed.

For a guarantee - Ana y Jose (not part of the hotel) now has a beach club south of Maya Tulum...look on tulum.info for more and pix.

But...the beaches improve even more the farther south you go.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:27 AM

Have you considered renting a car? That way you could see the ruins, drive down the road to see various spots -- access to the beaches is a little difficult if you are not staying at one of the cabanas -- other than the beaches near the ruins. El Paraiso would probably be the best spot if you are going by cab -- you can eat there and go to the beach.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 08:16 AM

I would agree with pepper - the beaches do get better the more south you go. Ana y Jose has good food (a little pricey) and if they have a beach club, this would be an ideal spot to go. We were there a year ago.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks great tips and nice map.