Tulum

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2008, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tulum

We're planning a trip this winter and want to know what to expect in Tulum - both beaches and the town...Anyone have any thoughts and suggestions? Where to stay? And if you recommend Tulum over other locations such as Playa del Carmen?
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 05:49 PM

I haven't spent huge amounts of time in Tulum, but here are my thoughts.

The beaches are beautiful. Blinding white, soft sand, and beautiful blue water. Small hotels, spread out over several miles. If I go back, I'd want a car.

The town of Tulum is a couple miles from the beach. We spent the night there on our way to Belize a couple years ago. There are some decent restaurants, and hotels in town are reasonably priced.

Whether you'd prefer Tulum over Playa del Carmen is a personal decision. I used to love Playa, it's gotten too big and too busy for my taste. But, it's still a nice vacation spot.

Old Sep 1st, 2008, 06:05 PM

A few of the hotels in Tulum that are on the beach road to the north of the intersection were closed last month. I have not heard if they have reopened. The cabanas to the south of the intersection were not closed.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 09:49 PM

My husband and I (in our late 50's) went to Tulum a few years ago. We stayed in a cabana along the beach. If you are there for the beaches, I would recommend that route. I don't recall the name of the place we stayed, but we had friends who, a month earlier, stayed at one just down the beach and also had a great experience. We travelled to Tulum by bus and took taxis to get around. At that time it was $3 per ride from town to the cabanas. We did not have reservations, but were able to book a cabana when we arrived. We had no trouble getting a taxi in town or outside of the "hotel". Meals were served in an open air restaurant and the cost added on to our final tab. There were other restaurants within walking distance.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 08:29 AM

Ifrieden: I guess it all depends on what type of hotel you would like. When I am in that area, I prefer the All Inclusive, then I rent a car and travel around, which is what I did two weeks ago. If AI is not your cup of tea, I would recommend staying in Akumal and getting a car, or taking a cab. Akumal is a great town, great hotels, restuarants, snorkeling, beach etc. The road in front of Tulum entrance is under major construction, but it didn't hinder us or create any traffic. Either way, the whole area is one of my favorites.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 07:23 PM

I agree with ewesthoff.

Our preference is Akumal, but Tulum does have great eco-resorts.

We have stayed in Akumal and have rented Casa Iguana, and a few condos there. Casa Iguana is best for a large group. We use www.vrbo.com to find private rentals.

Akumal also has Yal-ku lagoon, which is a natural lagoon for snorkeling. We really enjoyed La Buena Vida, a great beach bar with some of the best ceviche and fresh squeezed margarits we've ever had with our toes in the sand!

I just found the name of the eco-resort we stayed at. It was the Hemingway resort and I think I found it on Trip Advisor. It is rustic but fun and when the Italian owner is in residence, she is a terrific cook! It has a beautiful beach and it seemed you could walk forever in the white sand by the clear water.

Some of the best pics we found are at:

http://www.locogringo.com/tulum/hemi...gway%20Cabanas

Have fun!
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 10:03 AM

We spent 4 nights in Tulum and loved it. For me that is saying a lot because beaches are not my favorite places. Click on my name for Tulum trip report dated 3/04,06,07 2007. Pictures at:www.flickr.com/photos/basingstoke2/collections
click on Mexico collection for pics.

You do need a car since the hotels and beaches are not near the town or for that matter anything else. We liked the Los Lirios hotel. It is one of the few that have AC. A lot of the pictures are on the grounds and beach of Los Lirios, many taken from our balcony. Los Lirios is the one with multiple small buildings.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 03:56 AM

Wondering what you decided? We went to Tulum & PDC May '08 and had a FANTASTIC time.

Trish

link to my trip report
http://www.tulum.info/showthread.php?t=2245
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 04:16 AM

Posada del Sol Tulum is nice

prefer www.laspalaps.com PDC
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 04:17 AM

www.laspalapas.com oops missing a