TSA REGULATIONS - UNMARKED BOTTLES OK?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSA REGULATIONS - UNMARKED BOTTLES OK?

Hi, all. Here's a link to the new TSA regulations:

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/..._guidance.shtm

I haven't traveled out of country since early August, right before the liquid/gel scare in London. I've read, called, and emailed TSA but haven't found the answer to my question about whether or not the 3 oz. or less containers of liquids or gels have to be labeled. In other words, do they basically have to be original bottles or can I use little nalgene bottles without writing on them for my shampoo, bug stuff, sun block, etc.? I read on a forum that someone had their stuff dumped because a TSA guy said he couldn't tell how many ounces the bottles held without the labels.

Thanks in advance for any input. Happy trails!
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 08:56 AM

the containers do not need to be labeled.
the container must not be capable of holding more than 3 oz.
all the 3 oz. containers you wish to carry on must be contained within a single quart! size baggie. not a sandwich size or gallon size.
as you approach tsa remove your quart size bag from you carry on luggage so it can go through xray machine all by itself.
you will need to remove your shoes to go through the personal screening machine now too.
and plan approx one extra hour to get through the program (beyond what you used to plan).
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 10:36 AM

Hi Hopefulist,
I am the one who posted that in LP. I had NEVER read anywhere that the containers had to be labelled. As well I had travelled to and from Costa Rica and to the US with exactly the same little containers several times previously since the liquid/gel thing started without any problems. All other times, everyone was happy when I pulled out my regulation sized baggie and just waved me on.

My belief is that it was just some either bored or overzealous employee working to rule (How can I be sure its only 3 ounces if its not labeled???) or something like that and that you will have no problems.

My main point was that even if you call the airlines or check it all out online, you could get thrown a curve. And even if you are right, it probably is not worth the hassle of trying to argue with some guy in a uniform over a couple bottles of shampoo..

Enjoy your trip

Pura vida
raquel
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 10:46 AM

I had the same question - mainly because I like to carry saline solution along and put my contacts in mid-flight, and I haven't found any in a 3 oz. or smaller container. After waiting on hold for 30 minutes, I spoke to someone at TSA. He said containers do not have to be labled, but that I should let the security agent know what I have. So I probably wouldn't want to have several unmarked bottles in my ziplock, or that may cause problems. And, sadly, it does depend upon who is working security at the time. I am still going to check with my eye doctor to see if she has any sample sizes.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Most of my unmarked bottles do have the ounces on them and the smallest ones are very obviously under 3 ounces (like 1/2 oz.) Happy trails...
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 12:54 PM
TC

Here are my personal experiences with TSA on three trips in and out of the country during the last few months.

-They <u>give</u> you a clear bag as you stand in line to put your stuff in, so you don't have to have it all bagged up in advance.
-I have forgotten some things that were in my purse (perfume in a make-up bag) and it wasn't mentioned by the screener, so they either can't see stuff that well or don't care. This happened twice in different airports.
-I have several non-labeled bottles. No questions - no problems.
-No one ever actually looked at the stuff in my clear bag - as to how many or whether the little bottles were 3 oz. or 3.5 oz or whatever. I suppose if a bottle were huge, it might be noticed.

The whole process is far less daunting than one would think given the press. But it <u>never</u> took an extra hour above and beyond the time suggested by your airline. Even extremely long lines, move farely fast.
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 01:13 PM

Jane &amp; All,

Saline is one of the medical items exempt from the 3 oz. limit. It must be for medical reasons so if you have a gallon of lube, you better have some catheters with you!
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 02:22 AM

TC

I'll bet that one of those airports you breezed through was NOT O'Hare.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 03:36 AM

KBec, sounds like we are talking about a different type of saline! I just need it for inserting contact lenses into my eyes! Don't like putting them in at 5:00 a.m., and hate wearing glasses all day.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 05:30 AM
TC

Joeschmo: You are right, I passed through Minneapolis, LaGuaurdia, Philly, Atlanta, Barbados and St. Vincent - some, more than once, but never through ORD. I guess the lesson here is to post your airport location when asking these type of questions. It might make a difference in the answer.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Good point - I'm heading from PDX to GUA through Houston.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 07:45 AM

Someone above mentioned that they gave out bags in line. This is not true at all airports. At my local airport they made me throw out some lip balm, even though I only had one item so I thought I would be able to have separate and not in a bag.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 09:01 AM
TC

Wow...there seems to be a LOT of variation. I never even put my lip balm in the bag because I didn't consider it a &quot;liquid&quot;. No one said a thing.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 11:57 AM

Each airport does things differently. If you can, just check all luggage and avoid all hassels. I have seen lines for people who declare liquids and they are checking every little bottle.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Checking is just a big hassle for me coming and going. I hate waiting by the carousel when I could be winging my way to somewhere interesting in a cab or bus, then getting stuck in long customs or immigration lines with everyone else who checked luggage. The rate of lost or misrouted luggage is surprisingly high - I read somewhere an average of 10 a flight or something. I pack so light that pretty much everything seems essential and I want it with me. Will be interesting if I still feel the same after my 1st liquids-in-a-baggy adventure.

Thanks again, all, for your continued input. Happy trails!
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 02:34 AM

Hi, everyone! Thx again for all of your continued help &amp; support! Anyone still looking for 3 oz bottles? I found the perfect 3oz flip top bottles at Walmart for 50 cents by Goody called Necessities. The HBA mgr was kind enough to do a locate for me as they had flown out of my closest walmart-apparently everyone is looking for travel bottle!. Also, FYI, the Super Walmarts have a much larger &amp; more diversified travel goodie section. They also have an 2.4 aerosol pump bottle for 50 cents. I did find a perfect 3 0z aerosol pump by Garnier Fructic sheen spray. It was $3 but the peace of mind it will give me is worth it. Also during my search I found Eagle creek has a nice travel bottle set-$7.99 but with 3, 2, &amp; 1oz bottles-ProTravel gear &amp; ebags were the only ones I found with any left. Also, one can order 1 &amp; 2oz bottles from Campmor for $1 or so.
Have reread the TSA regs but still unsure-can my daughter take her large bottle of contact solution &amp; present for inspection?? Hope this helps &amp; Thx!
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

REI has a nice selection of bottles - in stores you can buy them separately. They also have little shallow pots with attached, snap-tight lids I plan to use for small amounts of aloe, 1st aid cream, etc.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Sear...;x=18&amp;y=12

Thanks again for all the help! Happy trails...
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:09 AM

Do lipgloss and mascara have to go in the bag with the liquids or can I keep them in my makeup kit? I can't seem to find an answer to this.
thanks.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:52 AM

I am heading down to Guatemala in a couple of weeks and have had the same dilema.

I usually carry my shampoo in little unmarked bottle and it has been perfect. Those little store sample sizes just aren't big enough for a two week trip and having to buy two takes up a lot of room. I am glad to read that it might be okay to take it. I guess I'll just buy more when I get there if they toss it.

KC airport has always been the toughest for me but they didn't give it a second glance when they saw my little 3-1-1 bag in Dec. A couple of things were just a little over 3 oz.

I don't mind being a good person and carrying the right amount of this or that but it is a real pain when every security station you go through is different.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Can't help you on that one - closest I come to make-up are face lotion and blistex which I'll put in &quot;the bag&quot;.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -