Trip Itinerary and Activities

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going for 14 days to Costa Rica in July. We are going to rent a 4x4 SUV. Here is my itinerary:
San Jose-1 night
Anything interesting to see in San Jose?

Tortuguero-1 night and two days
1-Taking one of the hotels 2 day/1 night package tour to Tortuguero
2-Night turtle tour

Arenal-3 nights
1-Swim at Tabacon Resort and Spa for the hot springs
2-Drive around Lake Arenal
3-Arenal Hanging Bridges 4-Guided Hike to volcano-
5-Arenal Reserve Sky Tram/Sky Trek
6-Pure Trek Canyoning on a waterfall
7-Cano Negro Wetlands tour
8-Hike to La Fortuna waterfall-Can do it on our own?

Playa Flamingo-2 nights
-Relax at the beach

Monteverde-3 nights
1-The original canopy tour
2-Skywalk
3-Guided hike in Monteverde-Any recommendations?

Manuel Antonio-3 nights
1-Beaches
Any suggestions on tours or stuff to do here?

It seems to be alot of stuff to do in Arenal compared to Monteverde. Is there other things to do in Monteverde? If not, should we shorten Monteverde by 1 night and add to another spot? Any other tours or things for each place that you recommend would be great. Is there anything I wrote that is a waste of time and money?

Thanks
Melissa
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

What Costa Rica travel book would you recommend to get? Also, can you hire a guide for a hike when you get into the national park instead of doing it before? Has anyone taken a night hike at any of the national parks above? How do you book that? What time does it get dark in Costa Rica in July?
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 12:38 PM

Melissa, we've been to CR twice- I know some stuff but not as much as others. I can tell you that we really enjoyed the night hike in Monteverde. The cloudforest tour is very mild and it's beautiful surroundings. We personally don't care much about birdwatching, and felt guilty that we saw 3 quetzal when so many people travel far and wide and don't get to see them. There is a great horseback tour you can do in Monteverde- we saw a great sunset that way- and the sun sets SO quickly! Also, we did Pure Trek waterfall rappeling on our Dec. 2005 trip- it was amazing. Sounds like you have a great trip planned. Have fun!
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Did you book the night tour thru a tour company or thru the park itself? Also, what was the name of the Horseback tour? Do you know what time it gets dark in Costa Rica? Was the rappelling scary to do? I want to do it but not sure if my kids are up to it. It looks amazing.
Old Jan 9th, 2006, 10:34 PM

Sunset is around 5:45-6 throughout the year. The La Fortuna waterfall hike is easy to do on your own. There is a ticket booth/ entrance charge near the parking lot and the obvious trail goes down to the base of the falls from there. Wear your swim suit to cool off in the pools.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 05:32 AM
dhuszai

Melissa -- Although we have not gone yet, I can tell you a couple of the things we are planning to do in MA. Since the park is closed on Mondays, we have reservations to do the horseback riding tour with Finca Valmy. They pick you up at your hotel at about 8:30 and take you to their location for their tour. They make several stops during the tour and take you to a waterfall which is supposed to be very nice, then back to their place for lunch. You would be back at your hotel at approximately 2:30 p.m. The cost is $65 pp.

We are also going to do Rainmaker (as was shown on Amazing Race). I believe the cost on that is also $65 pp and they will also pick you up at your hotel if you would like.

A guided tour of the park is a must. Hope this helps.